Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
For maintenance reasons, while I'll be replacing my air filter, I wanted to check out if there is any dust in the throttle body. Read the manual and I'm still not clear.

What do you need to do to get in there, check and clean the throttle body?
Do you have to remove the whole airbox container or just by opening up the airbox you can reach in the throttle body.

anyone has a few steps that are tried and proven?

thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not sure with yours but on a 1000 the airbox definitely has to come off. I also checked the idle speed control valve while I was in there. Don't adjust the idle or anything of course. If your airbox is anything like the G2 1000's, it's a dual chamber... you'll never get your hand in there through the airbox. It's not too difficult to remove though on ours: a few bolts, shifter linkage, crankcase breather, hose clamp for throttle body, then lift out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure with yours but on a 1000 the airbox definitely has to come off. I also checked the idle speed control valve while I was in there. Don't adjust the idle or anything of course. If your airbox is anything like the G2 1000's, it's a dual chamber... you'll never get your hand in there through the airbox. It's not too difficult to remove though on ours: a few bolts, shifter linkage, crankcase breather, hose clamp for throttle body, then lift out.
thanks homers

anyone else wanna give some insight on G1's ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kind of random but my friend brought his over and we pulled most of it apart to get to that point on a Renegade 800 (G1). The only difference is I'm not sure how hard the plastics are on yours... but as for cleaning it, it's so close to mine. We're diagnosing a different issue but one of the first things we checked was how the throttle body looked.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get to it but you don't want to spary all that gunk into the motor

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
spray what gunk?? :|
You mean I might force the dust into the motor while trying to clean it , if I dont remove everything first?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm looking for advise on cleaning the throttle body as well. Everyone always says, use the search, I did and this was the best I could find.

Is ok to remove the connectors on the throttle body, will the TPS have to be reset?

What is the best way to clean it, remove it? leave it on, spray it with card cleaner?

Thanks,

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm wondering if this is even necessary as long as you've been on top of the air filter maintenance.

Anyone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm wondering if this is even necessary as long as you've been on top of the air filter maintenance.

Anyone?

Thanks.
Mine was completly coated with an oily film I assume from filter oil. Dust coated the oil. I already had the airbox off. I pulled the plugs from the idle bypass and TPS and the map sensor. Loosened up the two hose clamps holding the throttle body to the manifold and removed. Then sprayed it out with throttle body cleaner I got from NAPA and the blew it dry. The only sensor I removed was the map. It was almost fuzzy. Got it all cleaned up and re-installed. Before I cleaned it the bike would die two or three times on a cold start before it would stay running. Idle was rough. It starts now and doesn't cut off and it idles much better. Not a throttle body expert so anybody that can add to that be my guest.

·
Registered
933 Posts

Anyone?

Thanks.
Mine was completly coated with an oily film I assume from filter oil. Dust coated the oil. I already had the airbox off. I pulled the plugs from the idle bypass and TPS and the map sensor. Loosened up the two hose clamps holding the throttle body to the manifold and removed. Then sprayed it out with throttle body cleaner I got from NAPA and the blew it dry. The only sensor I removed was the map. It was almost fuzzy. Got it all cleaned up and re-installed. Before I cleaned it the bike would die two or three times on a cold start before it would stay running. Idle was rough. It starts now and doesn't cut off and it idles much better. Not a throttle body expert so anybody that can add to that be my guest.
That's an interesting list of symptoms and solutions. New info for me. I'll watch for all of it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
To be completly fair, I had just bought the bike so it went through a massive three month long maintenance marathon. I wanted to be sure the bike was safe and would be as trouble free in the future as possible. I found several things that needed attention however I didn't come across anything that I believe would cause the stalling/idle issue. I'm guessing the previous owner over oiled the air filter. The throttle body and sensors were pretty dirty. I've had similar issues with other injected vehicals before and a dirty throttle body and or map sensor has, on occasion, been the culprit. For what it's worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts