Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so when I'm driving slow like 10 and under there's no noise or clunk sound. When I'm driving let's say 15-20, if I let off the throttle to slow down it will make a clunk sound (coming from mid-front area on the right side of the bike, not cvt side). When I get back on the throttle it will clunk again. The clunk sound will happen every time I'm on and off the throttle, but won't clunk if I ease off and back on. In 4wd the clunk sounds happens less but will still do it. Now when I go WOT and get going close 40 and over and let off it will clunk multiple times as the engine brake slows the bike, but again won't do it if I ease off the throttle, I take that back it will slightly in that case.

It will also happen if driving and hit some bumps that make the motor have slack. Now the front seal where the drive shaft comes out is good, the u joint seems good, I can twist the front drive shaft side to side, idk how much slack the front drive line should have but I can twist it side to side. Haven't been able to really check the rear drive line.

If anyone knows or had this problem and can help please do. It's annoying to have and I can't figure it out. I don't want I do the wait until it breaks method to figure out. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's the clutch/driveline slack. The main culprit being the stock secondary. It decreases a lot with a STM secondary, but sometimes still hear it. It's nothing to worry about. My grizzly 700 does a similar sound when engine braking down hill because of driveline slack.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just weird though because I didn't hear it on other renegades.. But I just might get an STM secondary for that matter, I know they don't do as much as a primary would be I hate it. When you let off going full throttle it chatters, from the clunk in noise happening so fast. Sounds like when you down shift a dirtbike going into the corner and wheel is skipping. Idk just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone else on here have clunk like mine?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sure do, been clunkin sense day one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2013 renegade clunks also. Same exact way that your describing but it also happens from a stand still when I hit the throttle quickly. Under light gradual throttle it won't do it.

While we are at it, does anyone else have excessive handlebar/steering stem play? Brought it to the dealer while it was under warranty as I noticed it before I even drove it for the first time and they said both of these problems were normal. They tried to even charge me for pretty much "wasting there time" but they eventually dropped the charges when I refused to pay. Maybe the clunk is normal but I doubt having about 1 inch of steering stem slack is. They told me it was some sort of safety feature but it feels like just the opposite. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you mean rotational slack and not up and down or side to side, my G1 had the clamp loosen a bit and is like new once I tightened it up good. (The steering stem clamp on the top of the power steering motor)

·
Registered
155 Posts
It literally moves up and down in a vertical motion if I lift up on lean back on the handlebars. I already checked and everything is tight as far as I can see

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry this is so late I’m new to this forum. But I had the same clunking noise on my 2015 renegade 800r Xxc. I never heard it until I got my bike back from getting it rebuilt. It’s now a MrRPM 860 big bore kit with cams and tuned. But trail riding with my buddies I noticed down on the bottom front half of the gearbox was this clunking noise when I would get on the gas hard and let off real quick and back on it again. Especially decelerating on a downhill slope that chatter scared me I thought they had missed something when putting the bike back together. But I’m glad I found this thread. Y’all are saying it’s the secondary clutch? Or play between gears? M I tried shaking my front drive thru shaft and it has some play side to side but not much. I really hate this noise and would like to somehow make it go away. Any reply or other input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts