Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to add a new primary and secondary clutch and 32 in nadors on my 2018 renegade xmr 1000. I’ve stuck between stm primary/secondary and qsc also. I’ve read a lot and I’ve heard different combos are the best. Mostly I’ve heard that the stm rage 3 primary with the qsc secondary is the best set up for Mud, and some trail riding. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t just get the arm secondary to go with the primary and stay with the same brand? Any advice would be great. This is my first 4wd bike. I’ve raced dirt bikes and quads my whole life so this is kinda new territory for me. I’ve already got a wild boar relocate kit, and will be ordering the torq front diff locker and full exhaust with the tuner. I’ve ran hmf my whole life but I’ve heard other brands give more power and that’s what I’m looking for. Thanks guys, hope everyone’s going well!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,287 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congrats.

Yeah reading up on clutching can leave ya dizzy, lol, there's a lot of options and opinions out there. I've heard real good things out of the QSC/STM primary/secondary setup, but here lately, STM's "rage 3" primary also gets a lot of rave reviews. You probably couldn't go wrong whatever you choose, just make sure to establish a good report with the seller, for any setup questions or issues you might have after the sale.

I remember not being all that blown away by the wild boar relocate on my 'gade, the way they square off the lower/front winch mounting box, presented ground clearance issues I wasn't expecting. Guess if the front end's in the air, tho, ya can't get it hung on anything, huh.....

I'd hold off on the torq locker, me, at least until you've ridden the bike a bit, or really notice a "need" for it. Your bike will have the QE (quick engage) front diff, that locks up around half a tire rotation, it's practically a locker already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m looking to add a new primary and secondary clutch and 32 in nadors on my 2018 renegade xmr 1000. I’ve stuck between stm primary/secondary and qsc also. I’ve read a lot and I’ve heard different combos are the best. Mostly I’ve heard that the stm rage 3 primary with the qsc secondary is the best set up for Mud, and some trail riding. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t just get the arm secondary to go with the primary and stay with the same brand? Any advice would be great. This is my first 4wd bike. I’ve raced dirt bikes and quads my whole life so this is kinda new territory for me. I’ve already got a wild boar relocate kit, and will be ordering the torq front diff locker and full exhaust with the tuner. I’ve ran hmf my whole life but I’ve heard other brands give more power and that’s what I’m looking for. Thanks guys, hope everyone’s going well!

Yeah reading up on clutching can leave ya dizzy, lol, there's a lot of options and opinions out there. I've heard real good things out of the QSC/STM primary/secondary setup, but here lately, STM's "rage 3" primary also gets a lot of rave reviews. You probably couldn't go wrong whatever you choose, just make sure to establish a good report with the seller, for any setup questions or issues you might have after the sale.

I remember not being all that blown away by the wild boar relocate on my 'gade, the way they square off the lower/front winch mounting box, presented ground clearance issues I wasn't expecting. Guess if the front end's in the air, tho, ya can't get it hung on anything, huh.....

I'd hold off on the torq locker, me, at least until you've ridden the bike a bit, or really notice a "need" for it. Your bike will have the QE (quick engage) front diff, that locks up around half a tire rotation, it's practically a locker already.

Yeah I bought in new in 18. I’ve been in several situations that I’ve needed a better locker. im set on the qsc/stm primary/secondary. Ive had some people I ride with say just get a kit or even leave it stock lol. They don’t own a can am or ever modified theirs heavily anyway. I’d consider a cvtech or a dalton clutch kit if I were leaving the 30in crypids it came with, but the 32x8 assinators are 60lbs, 12lbs heavier from what I’m running now so there no question I’m getting a new primary/secondary. after I put the radiator kit, back rack, clutch, and tires on I’m ordering full exhaust. I’ve ran fmf my whole life on my dirt bikes and racing quads. I’ve heard there are better out there for the renegade that gives a tad more horses, do you know anything about a good exhaust system? Idc how loud it is I just want the best exhaust performance wise. Thanks for replying with your help. I really appreciate man.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run a QSC/STM combo on my 1000 and the wife runs a CVTech/STM combo on her 570. Personally I prefer the QSC to the CVTech mainly just for ease of use. The QSC came set up perfectly for my machine and I am still in the process of tuning the CVTech. You can't go wrong with the STM secondary at all. They have so many options on setup when you order the possibilities are endless. I went with the QSC over the STM primary for two reasons, first one being cost and secondly I have heard they run hotter. On thing to consider though is the fact that I went with the CVTech primary for my wife's machine because QSC has been out of stock for some time now as well as most of their authorized dealers. I don't know if they have been hit hard by Covid but they don't seem to be making anything right now.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Stm is the only one that make a secondary for Can ams, QSC only makes primarys. I have 3 G1 800's with a few mods, i have a Cvtech/STM set up on one and a QSC/STM on the other, i lean towards liking the CVtech/STM combo best. no matter what you decide do yourself favor and buy from someone who knows 100% how to set them up, some places will tell you they do and they don't, springs and weights are 30 bucks each so going the cheaper route will end up costing you more in the long run, i bought my set up from 3P, theses guys sell every brand clutching so can help you out and get it right from the start.
Exhaust are all about the same Hp wise, they are just open exhaust designs, expect 4 to 5 Hp. only thing i would look out for an exhaust for a G2 is how close the pipe gets to the rear shock, some are closer than others, HMF, straight line performance or empire are good choses can't go wrong with either of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts