Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find someone who might have seen something like this before. My son's DS90X destroyed the belt twice when riding in the dunes with 1" oversized tires. After the belt is destroyed when looking at the clutch the belt material is melted to the inside half of the sheave only. The outside halves look new like it never touched that area.

I checked the temperature with a heat gun around the primary assembly and found nothing out of the normal. Just trying to find some reason only the inside half of the sheave would melt the belt but leave no indication of belt failure on the outside half of the sheave. Also the primary sheave is aluminum and secondary is steel. I could really use some ideas!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had an issue similar to this with my 650, it would spin the inner sheave from time to time, because of a bad primary bolt. It eventually turned my inner sheave a gold color and nearly ruined my crank from heat/galling. However, to be fair I had also flat spotted all the rollers and my one way bearing were shot as well. Not sure what order it happened in, or if the extra load on belt and hard pack trails I ride had something to do with it. My advise pull and inspect the primary and secondary clutches thoroughly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I should have posted a follow up to this problem. Turns out I was following the directions from the service manual too close. I needed to open up the secondary to tighten the primary but could not get my fingers in the secondary to do so. The manual stated not to use any tools on it doing the job. I tried to just spin the clutch assembly and continue tightening but it never did the job. Finally I used a tire spoon and it opened right up. I installed a used clutch primary that I bought off eBay along with the used belt and it has worked perfect ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts