Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2012 Renny 1000. So far I like it, but as with most, want to do stuff to it to make it faster!! So been doing some research bout exhaust, looks like Muzzy is the best bang for the buck. I do mostly trails, but like to have the power whenever I need it. Don't need top end power, down low and mid range mostly. HMF sounds good, I had a slip on on an old machine I had, but after reading that the AFR didn't really change, that tells me that it just makes noise and doesn't increase power any....don't see a need to get a full system, since doesn't make too much of a difference on a stock engine.

controller was thinking about Dobeck TFI, I've had 3 controllers from them, all good results and noticeable increase.

Clutch I have no idea. This is my first Can Am and not familiar with them. I have 27" mega mayhems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
QSC primary, STM secondary, costly, but ask anybody, best clutch combination ever.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just google them, I believe you're looking at about $1500 for the set-up, there isn't any other clutches that are better, if you want something more adorable like I choose you can judge upgrade your clutch springs and weights

·
Registered
557 Posts
Check Dalton clutching, they make good clutch kits, that's what I run

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Lightweight tires will make your machine faster than adding a tuner/exhaust, etc.
Its amazing how much heavy tires rob power.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
QSC/STM combo is an unbeatable performance upgrade, nothing you can bolt on will come close as far as seat of the pants feel goes, it is very expensive, but well worth it if your after a big gain in performance. If your looking for an exhaust call VforceJohn, hes a full line muzzy dealer and will set you up with whatever your looking for, and sell you a tuner with a map already pre installed on it so no guess work.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does a STM secondary really help with 25" OEM tires?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think it has better backshifting, the primary is where you gain the performance for the most part

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's what I've heard. Running stock tires there's more gain out of the primary. If you're running big mud tires, STM secondary helps big time

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed a difference swapping to the 27s, but haven't taken it out for a long ride yet. Mostly puttin' round the house...But I figure putting an exhaust/controller on would restore said lost power, and lil clutch work to compensate. Prolly get the controller first, since I wanna mess around with different mufflers, no need getting headers if it doesn't make much difference.

Does anybody have experience with the TFI? Awesome results with the Raptor 700....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did a longer ride today, did great....Won't wheely quite as easy with the bigger tires, but that was expected. Can't do much money wise for the next month or two, just the cheaper easier stuff to do.....still want to the controller tho.....

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
You say you want it faster, but then you agree that the tires you put on it made it slower! Why are you spending money to make it slower?

I get it that big heavy tires look cool, but they are the exact opposite of your desire for more power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't put the tires on to make it slower. I swapped tires that were on my g/f's grizzly, she doesn't ride extreme enough to warrant those tires. Now I want to do some clutch work at least to get it back close to stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also look into the QSC clutch kit its a lot of cash compared to Dalton kit but the adjustable weights are awesome I am just waiting for my QSC STM combo to arrive :yahoo:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had Vforcejohns clutch kit before I upgraded to the QSC/STM combo his kit is spot on. But after a good ride this weekend with my new setup to be honest it was worth every penny smash the throttle at 20 your at 50 in a blink of an eye and its so much smoother. If money is tight call John get his kit he also has the best customer service around hands down

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Here's what an Exhaust and Tuner does to a 1,000 vs a bone stock Sportsman 850HO. Everyone says the 850HO stock runs right with their stock 1,000.
This will show you how much the Muzzy and tuner alone helps! :)
(Stock tires, everything)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I believe John said on the dyno even the slip on and tuner gives you about 5hp at the wheels the full exhaust gives you a touch more and for a longer stretch. To be honest my clutchs gave me the biggest butt dyno difference
Nice vid by the way. I also have heard that the 850ho will run with a stock 1000 but I havent seen it yet personally the 850 is a good running machine thou

1 - 20 of 28 Posts