Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what sounds to be a very serious issue going on with my 2016 outty xmr1000. I will attach a video of said issue. Have had this banging noise when accelerating, and in reverse. I have changed everything from entire suspension to replacing the whole front diff, has been a nightmare cost wise... Come to find out it the banging is coming from my clutch area. Please have a watch and leave comments with help to what you think it might be .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take secondary off.
Spring or helix??
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I posted this I found some vids with similar sounds. All videos I found pointed to the springs or helix. Will take it apart today and will update with what I found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take secondary off.
Spring or helix??
I was thinking the same thing after I posted this I found some vids with similar sounds. All videos I found pointed to the springs or helix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing after I posted this I found some vids with similar sounds. All videos I found pointed to the springs or helix.
I ended up removing both Primary and secondary clutches. Found nothing wrong with the helix or springs. Had a can am tech tell me there is a good chance the secondary spring is worn, resulting in the helix binding up. Another tech from a different shop said the clutch needs rebuilding. Lol, than I was contacted by 3rd tech, he is thinking the through shaft, might have broken a spline or 2 on the shaft, so he recommended replacing the through shaft, along with replacing every moving part on the Primary, like rollers, weights, and both springs.
I am at a cross roads with this machine, fix it or part it out... Dropped over 8 grand this season into this beast to bring her back to life to only get this issue in the end, how disheartening. Anyways, if I get it figured out and repaired I will post an update here with what it was and how I fixed it. In the meantime if anyone has experienced this problem, please feel free to leave your comment, any and all help is welcome, Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I ended up removing both Primary and secondary clutches. Found nothing wrong with the helix or springs. Had a can am tech tell me there is a good chance the secondary spring is worn, resulting in the helix binding up. Another tech from a different shop said the clutch needs rebuilding. Lol, than I was contacted by 3rd tech, he is thinking the through shaft, might have broken a spline or 2 on the shaft, so he recommended replacing the through shaft, along with replacing every moving part on the Primary, like rollers, weights, and both springs.
I am at a cross roads with this machine, fix it or part it out... Dropped over 8 grand this season into this beast to bring her back to life to only get this issue in the end, how disheartening. Anyways, if I get it figured out and repaired I will post an update here with what it was and how I fixed it. In the meantime if anyone has experienced this problem, please feel free to leave your comment, any and all help is welcome, Thanks.
You have been told by two people now that there could be something wrong with the Secondary spring. First by awful knawful and then by a Can-AM tech. Fix the secondary and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts