Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my tracks on my 2020 max limited this year. I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my machine with tracks and/or tires on it. I've always felt the defender, with tires, performs well up to about 35 mph and then gaining speed is a slower process. Tracks always cut the speed in half and that really isn't a concern. When I get in deep snow the engine really bogs down. Sometimes I'll be down to 15 mph in the deep snow.

Question:
First, I know a clutch kit will reduce my top end; that is something I don't care about. I don't need to go 62 mph with my machine. Would a clutch kit improve my acceleration from 0 - 55 mph when running tires? Also, would that same clutch kit provide more low end grunt when running tracks. I would like to maintain 20 mph and keep my RPMs up when going through deep snow?

Thank you

·
Vendor
355 Posts
I installed my tracks on my 2020 max limited this year. I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my machine with tracks and/or tires on it. I've always felt the defender, with tires, performs well up to about 35 mph and then gaining speed is a slower process. Tracks always cut the speed in half and that really isn't a concern. When I get in deep snow the engine really bogs down. Sometimes I'll be down to 15 mph in the deep snow.

Question:
First, I know a clutch kit will reduce my top end; that is something I don't care about. I don't need to go 62 mph with my machine. Would a clutch kit improve my acceleration from 0 - 55 mph when running tires? Also, would that same clutch kit provide more low end grunt when running tracks. I would like to maintain 20 mph and keep my RPMs up when going through deep snow?

Thank you
Yes and yes. You have it figured out there. You are looking for a more torque...typically "bigger tire" clutch kit. Check with Dynojet and EPI performance first. They should have exactly what you need.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
I don't know if you saw the posts on the 2020 Defender muffler problem, BRP issued a notice regarding the muffler expanding and the back creasing in. There is quite a bit of performance lost when this happens. It's easy to check, just look at your muffler, it will be obvious, if yours has this issue, Can-Am will replace it under warranty.

Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
Yeah, it's to the point that when I see a rider with a 2020 Defender, I want to let him know about the problem. Let us know if yours has it.

Reactions: SuperATV
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.