Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike for about 6 months. I am very new to ATVs. I hear people talk about "putting in a new clutch kit." I have been told this will increase low end power, but lower top end speed. Is this the way it works? I know I am wimpy but I really do not have any need to go 70mph on my bike. Low end power seems more important to me. Any thoughts and recommendations? My bike is a 2010 Can Am Outlander Max LTD. Every thing is stock (I replaced a front axle) and it has 90 hrs on it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I guess it all depends where you ride, how you ride and what mods and tires.
Putting bigger tires on adds a little extra stress on the drive train. I enjoy deep woods rocky trails and travel under 20kph the vast majority of the time. On occasion, I like to open it up on fast logging roads. That is one of the biggest draws to can am, the power! Hondas ruled when it was a 350 cc Atv dinosaur world, Can Ams rule in the the big cc modern Atv world.
I don't have a clutch kit or and performance parts yet: other mods more important.
Start with tires and rims then move to suspension. You already have a 800, so I would suggest strongly that making it more ridable, bigger tires and offset rims will add to stability and handling.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
clutch kits are fine if ur looking for a little extra snap out of the clutch with stock tires or if you put on slightly heavier tires. But aftermarket clutching is where its at if you really wanna put the power to the ground. I had a Dalton clutch kit and was happy with it, but the CVTech primary was a night and day difference.
Even just using Low gear gives lots of grunt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the info. I like riding trails. Puddles and small creeks are fun too, but I've seen videos of people riding their 4 wheelers in mud pits and that is not for me. Really cool to watch though. and more power to everyone that enjoys doing it.
When my tires wear down I do plan on replacing them with 28" tires. Hadn't thought about offset. Will have to research that. Also going to get a repair manual. Can't afford dealer prices for repair and maintenance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
clutch kits are fine if ur looking for a little extra snap out of the clutch with stock tires or if you put on slightly heavier tires. But aftermarket clutching is where its at if you really wanna put the power to the ground. I had a Dalton clutch kit and was happy with it, but the CVTech primary was a night and day difference.
Even just using Low gear gives lots of grunt
i'm with this guy. my vfj clutch kit was alright i suppose but definitely wasn't the difference i was expecting to get. as soon as i stepped my tires up to an even larger size than i clutched for i bought a QSC and i changed my machine forever. never will i spend money on a kit over a new primary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts