Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an intermittent problem with shifting into gear and the bike creeping while in gear. It first occurred about a week after I bought the bike (6 weeks ago) but increased in frequency and got to the point it smoked the belt on me the other day. So in doing a little research I came to the conclusion it was likely in my one way bearing so I ordered a pair of RBL bearings and some Isoflex grease and tore into it when the parts came in the mail this morning. As I removed the clutch the bearing stayed with the clutch rather than staying on the shaft. I studied up on this in the manual before hand so I knew about the caps and springs and was very mindful of them when pulling everything apart and I can say for 100 percent certainty there are no caps and springs in the shaft. What are the purpose of them?
Why wouldn't they be in there? The collar that the bearings sit in appear to be stuck to the clutch, I tried to seperate but it did not want to go with a little persuasion so I left it to soak with a little penetrating fluid for the time being. Upon inspection of the bearings, the outermost bearing spins freely but the in board bearing is froze solid so I believe that contributed to part or all of my problem, but what has me confused is why I don't have these little caps and springs. Any insight is greatly appreciated, I have a big ride coming up on Friday and would really hate to miss out

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Did you buy it used, or did you find a new left over 2012? If it is used, I would say the previous owner has had the clutches off and lost them, probably didn't know they were there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought it used with 500 miles on it. It does appear that he was in there at one time unless the factory uses blue paint sticks when assembling the clutches. I managed to get the one way seperated from the rest of the clutch, the inner bearing was definitely shot.
Kind of concerning being there is only 550 miles on the machine at this point. What is the purpose of thos springs and caps? Are they critical for the proper operation of the clutch? I guess what I'm asking is do I need to buy a set and install them or am I ok without? I want to fix it right, I've got a few big rides planned this summer and the first one to West Virginia is coming up in a few weeks. I definitely don't want any problems coming up in the near future.

Also, check out the wear on the bushing in the center picture and inside the one way in the third pic. Is this normal wear or is it from hanging up? There is no noticeable grooves in either, I can run my fingernail across and not catch any lips or gouges but it doesn't look right to me. Both my large and small bushings on the sliding sheave are within spec according to the service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I submitted my last post I thought about it and did just that. But I'm new to the clutch world and looking for a basic explanation of what the purpose of them are.

Ordered the springs and spring sleeves, a new spring, and spring seat. The spring has a bit of a lean to it and does not want to sit square in the sliding sheave and there wasn't even a spring seat installed. I'm really starting to wonder what the heck this guy was doing when he tore into this clutch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I seem to have read somewhere that the springs n caps are actually the ones responsible for your low speed/rpm engine breaking. I could be wrong but I m sure someone will pop in and correct the above statement.

Otherwise WOW man , I ve never seen anything like your clutch before, its great that you caught it and I m sure you ll love the RBL ( I got the VBX same thing)

Dont go overboard on the isoflex and check if you have the one way plastic washer. Some have removed them but...I m sticking with it

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No friction washer either (if that's what your referring to)

Man, I tell ya, this guy left more parts off this thing than he put back on! Makes me really question what he was thinking/doing when he had it apart.

Whats odd is this bike ran extremely well for the first few rides i had it on. The intermittent "creeping" issue happened two or three times before the bearing seized up and then the bike would either push through the brakes or smoke the belt, so I tore it down right away. I ride my stuff hard but I'm overly anal about things being right. I probably go overboard on the maintenance side of things, but when I wanna go ride I wanna go ride!! Not wrench!

I'm not sure what causes the engine braking but I do know that the engine braking on this bike is quite exceptional. I very rarely have to use the brakes, and I tend to ride pretty fast.

Thanks for the responses guys, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumppp!!

Someone has to know the reason for the springs and caps and what they do for the clutches? I'm trying to find an explanation of their purpose but the ol interweb is leaving me high and dry.

Let me bask in your knowledge guys! :th_smiliebanana2:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Bumppp!!

Someone has to know the reason for the springs and caps and what they do for the clutches? I'm trying to find an explanation of their purpose but the ol interweb is leaving me high and dry.

The caps and springs are what makes the one way bearings....one way bearings. Without them you have a bearing that runs either direction, IE: no low speed engine braking.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the design and the way the clutch goes together I figured it had something to do with the operation of the one way, but what's puzzling is engine braking was good down to about 5-7 mph....but from what your saying I should have braking down to lower speeds than that?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Looking at the design and the way the clutch goes together I figured it had something to do with the operation of the one way, but what's puzzling is engine braking was good down to about 5-7 mph....but from what your saying I should have braking down to lower speeds than that?
Should near engine brake down to a walking speed. With no throttle, the primary clutch is all the way open, and the secondary is all the ways closed. The way it's set up, there should still be tension on the belt that causes the belt to run not on the sheaves of the primary, but on the base circle of the primary, which is the one way bearing. As long as the secondary is trying to run faster than the primary, the one-way bearing should provide some engine brake. It should NOT be set up like a snowmobile clutch where the belt is actually loose when the clutches are at low speed.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question, what are the bushings made of in the sheave? They appear to be very soft in nature.

On reassembly the FSM only makes mention of lightly greasing the one way and the springs and cups. Do you apply a light coat of grease on the bushings or shaft?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bumppp!!

The caps and springs are what makes the one way bearings....one way bearings. Without them you have a bearing that runs either direction, IE: no low speed engine braking.
I'll take that as confirmation

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got everything back together last night and all I can say is WOW. Night and day difference all around!
Shifts into gear like butter, smooth and effortlessly. Also no creep whatsoever. The bearing had to of been on its way out from the beginning because it was never THIS smooth.
Thanks for all the replies!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts