Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Cold Weather Protection

1458 11
I wanted to see what others are wearing for cold winter riding to keep your face warn? One of my favorite ice fishing lakes is just over 20 miles in and I have been wearing my old Modular snow machine helmet, which works great but is super uncomfortable. I was thinking about buying another one that would fit better or wanted to see what else other riders are using. I don't have a windshield and I doubt I'd ever get one. The other option is maybe a nice windproof face shield and goggles? Most of the trail is pretty flat and I can plug along pretty fast, plus since it's flat, there can be quite a bit of wind and It'll cut through any gaps for sure. It's not crazy interior temps and it seems that it's usually between -10 to 20 degrees plus wind. Being a tight wad, I really didn't want to drop 300 for a new helmet. Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO I think the windshield would be the best place to start. I have the short and tall windshield. I only use the tall for winter riding and plowing snow, what a difference it makes keeping the wind off your face.
Do you have the deluxe faring or something else. I hear that the Deluxe faring is nice but I would only use it in the winter but didn't think it would be worth it. I think I would still need some type of face cover, even with the windshield?

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,350 Posts
My BRP windscreen is very easy to install and remove when the season changes. The wind protection it provides is remarkable. I only use it in winter. The high version is perfect for my 5'9'' body.
715006382-ensemble-de-pare-brise-haut.html
With an adequate windscreen you have more options for head and hand gear.
I agree that a full on modular helmet with breath curtain and heated visor can be a pain. This winter I will try using an open face helmet with full visor and a neoprene face mask but its a long shot.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Im nice and warm all day long. My full face helmet has a changeable face shield that i swap out for the heated unit in the winter, Then 2 years ago i purchased a one pc snowmobile suit (not cheap) but worth every penny. With the design it zips up well past my neck so no cold gets in under the helmet. I purchased a uninsulated suit and i layer up under it and i find as the day warms up im stripping off layers, I had heated gloves but this year i was going to have to get new batteries so i just broke down and put heated grips on as they were pretty close at my cost as new batteries. I also have true snowmobile boots that are great, they take a little getting used to because they are sorta tapered for riding snowmobile but not so much you cant tide comfortably. I learned over the last 10 years of riding buy your gear once and get the good stuff. Lost track of how many times i tried to save a $ on cheaper gear and the warmth and durability was not their..

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. The rest of my body is warm and fine. I agree that learning how to layer for your activity is key. I've been fortunate enough to get to play up here for many years and know that the fun goes away when people get cold. I'll probably just stick with what I have because it works. I only ride a few times in the winter because of all of the snow and I can't justify buying a fairing for a few rides. I'm sure I'd need my modular helmet still. Now I can't wait to pull some pike up through the ice!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The rest of my body is warm and fine. I agree that learning how to layer for your activity is key. I've been fortunate enough to get to play up here for many years and know that the fun goes away when people get cold. I'll probably just stick with what I have because it works. I only ride a few times in the winter because of all of the snow and I can't justify buying a fairing for a few rides. I'm sure I'd need my modular helmet still. Now I can't wait to pull some pike up through the ice!
i hear ya... im trying to talk myself into a set of tracks but just can't justify the cost

·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
312 Posts
I wear my goggles, my breath catcher and a gaiter/balaclava which worked for me. I lived on a lake for years and during winter this was the best combo I could find while staying mobile and comfortable. I tried using a scarf but it was almost choking me or else I couldn't get zipped up enough so the wind would just whip down my jacket. You can get adult helmets for under $100 on amazon all day if you wanted to check out some of those options as well Sir.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I rode 81 miles last Friday in the mid 20s. In fact, I do it every Friday. I wore long johns, fleece lined jeans, a short tee, a long sleeved tee, a sweat shirt, and my Gerbing 12 volt heated vest, all under a Carhart Arctic jacket. I use a balaclava with my 1/2 helmet behind a tall windshield. I run the grips with Gerbing 12 volt heated gloves. My feet do get cool though but, that's with my every day boots and wool sox. For colder temps I throw on my 40 year old Sorels.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts