Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to ATV's and just got my 2021 XTP Max 1000. I do not have power in my garage, nor is it heated. I live in Maine where we have had many days below freezing already. What I do now is to go out to the garage every 4 days and let the machine idle for a bit to keep the battery charged and to just let it run. A few of these start-up cycles have been during temps of around 30*F and the machine starts, run for a few seconds then dies out. I then re-fire the machine back up and she runs up to temp. Now, I am assuming that is normal because Ive owned motorcycles in the past and cold starts are just a thing. My question is, do they make atv batteries for cold weather like they do for other vehicles such as my plow truck? And is there anything else I can do to combat cold starts considering I will be using this atv to plow during our cold winters.

Thanks folks

Registered
2022 Outlander 850 XT ordered 馃槈
New to ATV's and just got my 2021 XTP Max 1000. I do not have power in my garage, nor is it heated. I live in Maine where we have had many days below freezing already. What I do now is to go out to the garage every 4 days and let the machine idle for a bit to keep the battery charged and to just let it run. A few of these start-up cycles have been during temps of around 30*F and the machine starts, run for a few seconds then dies out. I then re-fire the machine back up and she runs up to temp. Now, I am assuming that is normal because Ive owned motorcycles in the past and cold starts are just a thing. My question is, do they make atv batteries for cold weather like they do for other vehicles such as my plow truck? And is there anything else I can do to combat cold starts considering I will be using this atv to plow during our cold winters.

Thanks folks
IMHO the little starts is not ideal for plugs, oil sludge etc.
My previous 2016 would start at -27C no problem. Personnaly if you can, I would find a way to install a solar charger that they sell for cars to tickle 馃槣 the battery especially if you don't use it for long periods. Make a quick connector on the battery because if I remember, the "cigarette" plug as power only when ignition is ON.
Again this is what I would do if no power was available in my garage.

Keep us posted
Luc
Canada

Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
As far as specialized batteries for extreme cold I have never seen any. As we northerners already know even good lead-acid battery will loose 'power' as it gets colder. It is important to have a large enough battery so that it can still deliver the cranking amps to start a frozen motor. Besides having a good powerful battery it must be kept fully charged so the acid does not freeze to a solid. Once it freezes its toast!
My suggestion for those extreme cold nights in Maine would be to fix up a way to easily remove the battery from the quad and keep it somewhere warm until you need it.

If Freewill can do it so can you but I wonder if Freewill has two batteries in parallel on his machine.

It might be a good idea to keep the gas tank full too to help prevent condensation in the tank.

If you can do it safely, a propane heater might be a way of warming the garage and machine prior to starting

Registered
I agree with the solar panel idea. I don't use my truck a lot sometimes and use one to keep the battery charged. And I don't believe in starting anything unless I am going to use it, especially in the cold. Every cold start creates a little wear on something. But that is my take on it.

Registered
As above those short starts are bad as they foul up the plugs, introduce moisture into the oil since the machine is not getting hot enough to burn of condensation. Get a solar charger or run a extension cord from the house and hook up a battery maintainer... On cold days when you go riding let it get warmed up before you ride it... I rid in -20 to -30 and never have a issue i ran a extension cord from my house to the shed for my battery maintainer

Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
As far as specialized batteries for extreme cold I have never seen any. As we northerners already know even good lead-acid battery will loose 'power' as it gets colder. It is important to have a large enough battery so that it can still deliver the cranking amps to start a frozen motor. Besides having a good powerful battery it must be kept fully charged so the acid does not freeze to a solid. Once it freezes its toast!
My suggestion for those extreme cold nights in Maine would be to fix up a way to easily remove the battery from the quad and keep it somewhere warm until you need it.

If Freewill can do it so can you but I wonder if Freewill has two batteries in parallel on his machine.

It might be a good idea to keep the gas tank full too to help prevent condensation in the tank.

If you can do it safely, a propane heater might be a way of warming the garage and machine prior to starting
I did this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts