Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the rad fan has worked in the past(I've heard it run). I ran the quad all day without a glitch. The winch worked earlier that day also. Late in the day the bike began to overheat(the fan never ran). This happened 3 times on the way back. At the truck, the winch wouldn't work either. I tested the winch direct to 12V & it works everytime. I'm wondering if there is a common ground wire for both & it's location?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check the solenoid in the back of the bike by the battery.. All the major grounds are ran to that.
Might want to dielectric grease all your connections and terminals, it's almost a must. I do it to all mine, and no issues.. Prevents corrosion, shorting out and water intrusion

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the solenoid in the back of the bike by the battery.. All the major grounds are ran to that.
Might want to dielectric grease all your connections and terminals, it's almost a must. I do it to all mine, and no issues.. Prevents corrosion, shorting out and water intrusion
Ive done as you said prior to posting with no luck. perhaps its 2 seperate issues with fan & winch. Ill have to dig deeper. Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check the winch solenoid? And it's connections and your fan just might be toast.. They do go bad..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the winch solenoid? And it's connections and your fan just might be toast.. They do go bad..
So I can make the winch work by manually moving the contacts on the solenoid. I'm not the handiest guy on a meter but it seems all leads, connectors, & switch test ok. Is it possible the solenoid needs replacing even though it works manually?

In regard to the fan, I bypassed the relay with no luck. I also disconnected the CTS sensor which put the bike in limp mode & still no luck. Fan doesn't run. The fan tests .7ohm. Don't know if that helps.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You should switch the meter to volts.. That's way you can see what power is coming from the battery.. I don't know the exact voltage, I'd have to check mine to see..
But check your fan to see if clogged with debri and crap, mine didn't want to come on because I had a bunch of crap stopping it.. If nothing seems to work just get a new one and be done.
As for the winch, if you can manually make it work. That means somewhere from the switch to the relay it's not getting power. Might just be your relay..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should switch the meter to volts.. That's way you can see what power is coming from the battery.. I don't know the exact voltage, I'd have to check mine to see..
But check your fan to see if clogged with debri and crap, mine didn't want to come on because I had a bunch of crap stopping it.. If nothing seems to work just get a new one and be done.
As for the winch, if you can manually make it work. That means somewhere from the switch to the relay it's not getting power. Might just be your relay..
There's over 14V coming from the battery. The fan appears to be clean & clear of debris but I'll check again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Then your fan could be shot.. You said you did check the fuses?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well that's good.. Your connectors might be bad.. The wires could protruding through and shorting out..
You have cover it all.. That's what sucks about eclectic issues.. Or make a direct relay to power and run your fan off of a toggle switch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that's good.. Your connectors might be bad.. The wires could protruding through and shorting out..
You have cover it all.. That's what sucks about eclectic issues.. Or make a direct relay to power and run your fan off of a toggle switch
So I checked the 30 amp fuses on the rear of the bike about 5 troubleshooting hours ago & they looked good however when checking again today the one fuse had the smallest hairline fracture in it. I replaced it & both the fan & the winch work as expected. Electrical can be such a pain to diagnose. I've never seen a fuse blow like this one did. Check & check again. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sweet! Good deal, enjoy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.