Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea why I have coolant coming out of my overflow? Fluid was low when it did it the first time so I went ahead and did a flush and put new coolant in to the right level and it still spits out the overflow.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Because your engine's overheating

·
Registered
950 Posts
some machines are different with where they like the coolant level, i know 2 of my machines like to be about 1 inch lower than the full line in the coolant reservoir, any thing more and it pukes it out and then some. bleeding the lines can take a few attempts, jack it up and let it cycle with the radiator cap off while massaging the coolant hoses on both sides. make sure your radiator is clean and also the fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let out some fluid where I am now sitting about an inch below max, it is still doing it. It’s not like pouring out just dripping out of the overflow pretty decently

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most times you just have some air trapped in your cooling system somewhere. Some auto mechanic shops have a tool to vacuum your cooling system and when it gets to zero pressure you fill with coolant. We have that in my Body shop. ......Sometimes a bad head gasket will pump cylinder air into your cooling system and push coolant out. I had a Subaru with that problem. I hope that's not your problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine just started doing it too. I went on a slow 5 mile ride around the hood with my daughter (We do this about 3 or 4 times a week) and when I stopped to open the garage door the fan came on (like normal) and within a minute or so I had a small puddle by left front wheel. Did it last two rides and now coolant tank is below “low” line.

No warning or temp lights showing up.

Is there any way to test/ check the cap? I guess I’ll bleed the system.

I can’t figure out what could have gone wrong. Ran fine on a 130 mile ride. The only thing I’ve done since is wash it. Hmmmmm

Hoping I can work on this out quick. I am planning to ride on Friday....

·
Registered
133 Posts
So, I’m bleeding the radiator. Here’s my set up and what’s happening.

At first the coolant was very clear and as it warmed up and coolant started to rises up the neck and start dripping out, I would get some large gulps of air out.

then when the fan kicked in, level dropped down the neck. I would see air bubbles in the radiator and then FOAM and overflow. Hmmm. Normal?

I’m going to order a new cap because I think the seal on the cap has “set” and hopefully that is the source of air and root cause if the problem

any other thoughts?
865DAE89-F11C-41F5-AA00-3E7817C1950F.jpeg
282DBB41-E96C-4A31-965B-DC917305A7DA.jpeg
7BCA50C4-7F42-4145-A217-5F44A6E1F024.jpeg
9C84E96C-DDE3-4101-BCB6-F2B852C5C626.jpeg
282DBB41-E96C-4A31-965B-DC917305A7DA.jpeg
7BCA50C4-7F42-4145-A217-5F44A6E1F024.jpeg
9C84E96C-DDE3-4101-BCB6-F2B852C5C626.jpeg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Finally, when I shut it off the radiator was low/empty? So I refilled and ran it again. It wasn’t foaming but trickled out the neck a few small bubbles but not much. Then I shut it down level went down but not as much. I filled it ran it a couple minutes and shut it down. Cap on And cleaned up.

what should I expect next?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A new cap sounds like a good idea but try this first. Clean all of that dirt off so you get a good seal. The cooling system is supposed to be sealed and pressurized when it's hot. A tiny bit of dirt on the seal will lower the pressure and the coolant will boil and make foam. Also, and this is very important!!! !!!! There are coolant bleeder screws at the tops of both cylinders. You have to bleed the air out of those. That info should be in your operators guide. If it's not, just look for the highest spot on the head for a small screw or bolt. Loosen it and see if air comes out followed by coolant.
Hopefully that fixes you up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally, when I shut it off the radiator was low/empty? So I refilled and ran it again. It wasn’t foaming but trickled out the neck a few small bubbles but not much. Then I shut it down level went down but not as much. I filled it ran it a couple minutes and shut it down. Cap on And cleaned up.

One more thing. check your hoses and clamps. a small hole may not leak much coolant but when it cools down the system becomes a vacuum and it may suck air. If that's the case you'll slowly get the problem again. Also, that new cap may be a very good idea for the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone have any idea why I have coolant coming out of my overflow? Fluid was low when it did it the first time so I went ahead and did a flush and put new coolant in to the right level and it still spits out the overflow.
did you drain the bleeder screws at the tops of the cylinders? The info should be in your operators guide

·
Registered
18 Posts

I screwed up my reply to you. It's a regular post 2 up from this one

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks! Amazon couldn’t deliver the cap until 27th. Dealer had to order, couldn’t commit to delivery in a week but said it was a common automotive cap. Autozone had the right cap ..... I did check the hoses and I cleaned the sealing surfaces on the radiator before the new cap went on 👍..... Took a 5 mile ride and so far all good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just to be sure.....
1) I can’t find a temp gauge on the instrument cluster. I’ve seen people comment on their machine running “cooler” or “ hotter” so wondering if I’m missing something or do some models have it and my max xt doesn’t. I assume it has a warning light at least?

2) I used a IR temp gun to check the engine temp in my driveway. The cylinder heads (near the bleeder housings) ran up just over 200f before the fan kicked on. Seems pretty hot.... normal?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just to be sure.....
1) I can’t find a temp gauge on the instrument cluster. I’ve seen people comment on their machine running “cooler” or “ hotter” so wondering if I’m missing something or do some models have it and my max xt doesn’t. I assume it has a warning light at least?

2) I used a IR temp gun to check the engine temp in my driveway. The cylinder heads (near the bleeder housings) ran up just over 200f before the fan kicked on. Seems pretty hot.... normal?
The new machines have a temp gage but it only shows bars 1-4 not actual temp. your machine looks like a 2012 or older so it will not have that. and yes that is the normal temperature these bikes run at thanks to the EPA, fan on at 208, fan off at 203. 2 ways you can change when the fan comes on, best Imo is an Ecm flash, does lots of other things too. and next would be a hayden fan controller. i have flashes on my bikes and they are set to come on at 180.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks. Pretty well matches the temp readings and gives me confidence I’m ok. I extended my overflow line so 1) I might be able to notice any flow before too long and 2) keep any overflow off of my brakes. Hopefully, new cap and air bleed has solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
106 Posts
Seeing those bubbles in the coolant reminds me of an engine I had issues with. A 14 liter Detroit series 60. Don't ask me how it was possible, but I thought a head gasket went out, it ended up being a broken compression ring. It would seal under power, but at an idle or when using the jake brake, I was getting air in my cooling system. Still makes no sense but it fixed the coolant issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts