Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I got some BRP pre mixed (yes i know i paid for water) for not an awful deal. So I just picked that up. It's only a quart and I doubt I'll even use half of it. It's orange, which matches what is in the machine now.

I will use my manual pump to fill the rad. Getting to the rad cap is going to suck some, I have to take the inner fender well off it appears. But I'll get it topped off.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I am not happy with a new machine leaking fluid... I may contact BRP about this, I won't be mean, but I will tell them this shouldn't happen. The old 08 kawasaki doesn't leak. The bleeder screws are actually in the jackets themselves which are metal. I recently drained that coolant and flushed/replaced the hoses. Runs a hell of a lot cooler, fan hardly runs now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My 2013 800r coolant was green-yellow so I used reg prestone.
Use whatever color is in if you prefer, prestone sells all colors.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
From the build out, appears there isn’t a rad cap right on the rad. The rad cap is on the revisor. That makes it stupid easy to top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Topped off resi, took about a cup and a half I’d say. Resi had just enough in it to keep the hole filled

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I see a small puddle still.....

I took the side panel off and don't see the right side leaking. I didn't take off the left side.

I let it run for awhile, I can smell coolant...

Called the local dealership as my warranty is good through march 29 2019. I'll end up letting them figure it out, if it's something major I hope CanAm will cover it.

I did spill some when I filled the resi, but I don't think that's it. From the left had side if I look under, I can see some coolant running down onto whatever is there. Appears that's where it's coming from. Potentially a gasket I guess?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Going to head out and check it again today after it's been sitting.

Used it to drive through 20" of snow on the lake this weekend. I of course had to lead the pack of wheelers out. I was completely impressed with how well it did!

I checked over all of the hoses on the right side and didn't see anything wet. I didn't notice any coolant in the snow.... Hoping it burped itself or my spill was the cause. Pretty sure I could see coolant on the bottom of the motor, so something isn't right.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Taking it in this weekend while its still covered under warranty. $50 deductible. I see a coolant dropplet on the bottom of the motor.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So it was a hose clamp near the exhaust shield near the back of the motor I guess???

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
$53 hose clamp though :(

·
Registered
789 Posts
Who was it, Midas Muffler or one of them used to say "Just a loose clamp, no charge", but that is not the real world.
Glad you got it solved for just a few bucks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
They pressure tested the system too. Just sucks it was something simple I didn’t see.

I mean i found both bleeder bolts leaking and fixed that. I do a lot of my own work. I assume it had to be a gasket between the aluminum that shrinks in the cold of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently relocating my radiator on my 2017 can am outlander 850 dps and when i drained it the coolant was red. I can not find my manual and i cant find a free manual too look at to see which coolant i need. I have looked many times on here and i have seen the answers orange and pinkish red. I have called 2 different powersports dealerships and one said to get the pinkish red since that is what was in there before, and the other said no i have to switch to orange in order for the bike to run properly. What is yalls opinion on this?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I am currently relocating my radiator on my 2017 can am outlander 850 dps and when i drained it the coolant was red. I can not find my manual and i cant find a free manual too look at to see which coolant i need. I have looked many times on here and i have seen the answers orange and pinkish red. I have called 2 different powersports dealerships and one said to get the pinkish red since that is what was in there before, and the other said no i have to switch to orange in order for the bike to run properly. What is yalls opinion on this?
Factory BRP is orange (like GM dexcool). BRP pre mixed quarts are super expensive. If it was me, I'd get some Prestone full strength (orange) vs buying quarts from BRP.

When doing my coolant in vehicles I buy full strength Prestone(non pre mixed) dexcool and then distilled water and mix my own 50/50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Factory BRP is orange (like GM dexcool). BRP pre mixed quarts are super expensive. If it was me, I'd get some Prestone full strength (orange) vs buying quarts from BRP.

When doing my coolant in vehicles I buy full strength Prestone(non pre mixed) dexcool and then distilled water and mix my own 50/50.
Ok, so i should plush out the radiator first to get the other coolant out first and then put the orange in there? I should not mix it right? Sorry for all the questions, my ex used to do all of this and now im on my own figuring it out lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok, so i should plush out the radiator first to get the other coolant out first and then put the orange in there? I should not mix it right? Sorry for all the questions, my ex used to do all of this and now im on my own figuring it out lol
I'd suggest flushing it as best you can, getting out all coolant if possible. The rad and rad lines will mostly drain when you disconnect them.

The engine will still have some inside it.

I am unaware of jacket bolts to drain the engine... the old kawi we have had those, which made draining the engine easy peasy.

You could remove the water pump housing and let it drain out the engine from there as well, but I would think it would mostly come out the water pump hose (right hand side of the bike).

You could jack the left side of the bike up and hope it comes out here.

You can then do your rad relocate, top off the rad and overflow bottle as required, run it, and bleed the system. Do you know where the bleeder screws are to bleed the air out of the system? They are pics on my first couple posts on this thread. They are bolts right on top of the water necks. 1 on the front head and 1 on the back head. The coolant hoses run right to the water necks. The bleeder bolts are facing straight up (the head of the bolt).

21 - 40 of 49 Posts