Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It didn't occur to me to confirm that's what I need, but I think I'm right:

See- the other day me n the lad were out ripping around on the farm, and at one point, my coolant overheat light popped on. Having dealt with this before when my FAS went out, I pulled the plug and jumpered the terminals, which should have fired on the fan- but no joy.

Which I believe confirms that the coolant temp switch itself has bucked the kicket, yes? And then if memory serves, I should've been able to disconnect that plug, and the fan would have defaulted to on, correct?

Looking around online for that guy, sheesh, they're proud of it, and I didn't find any non-OE options, which is disappointing. It appears there are plenty of choices for a $20 FAS (which I previously took advantage of), but I'm striking out so far on finding an equally reasonably priced coolant temp switch- anybody got any leads/tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, argh.... lol

Hell the override kits on fleabay ain't but $40, I could just as well do that instead, and pocket the difference :p

But then I'd have to manually flip the switch every time I cranked it up......ugh....lol

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah saw it, same thoughts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Writing the 2nd chapter in this saga, and scratching my head over here:

Ok, so the 400's cooling system is pretty basic, as far as I understand. The CTS is responsible for "energizing" the entire circuit, that's what everything starts with, right?

And I've been pretty intimate with my cooling system since purchasing my bike. First time I ran into a "no cooling fan" scenario, the test that involved jumpering the FAS switch plug confirmed it was faulty, fan powered on like it should, assuming the CTS was still at that time properly providing power for the entire circuit. Replaced the FAS and all was well for many months.

Fast-forward to a few months ago and the fan wasn't coming on again. Jumpering the FAS plug didn't do any good, so that would've pointed the blame at the CTS for not doing its job, assuming the fan motor was still good.

The other day me n the lad were out riding around ( I had forgotten about the previous overheating no fan situation, lol, doh!) and again this problem reared its ugly head. To test the fan, I grabbed an old cigarette lighter pigtail I had, and jumpered it into the fan plug. Shoved the other end into the lighter port on my bike and wuzzzzzZZZ the fan came on, and ran for like an hour straight I just left it plugged in while we rode, no problems.

Ok, so that meant my CTS was bad, says I. Ordered another one in, $75 to the wind, it arrived yesterday. Quickly swapped it out and ran the bike up to temp for quite awhile earlier today. I didn't get it to overheat, but the fan never came on. Not sure I'd really got it hot enough, I attempted to jumper the FAS plug, and the fan didn't come on.

Now I'm really running out of ideas..... I pulled the 4 fuses underneath the front compartment, none were blown, all looked good. So what now?

I'm almost certain I got the engine temp up enough to activate the new CTS, but either that's to blame, or perhaps a bad connection? At one of the fuses up front? I didn't remove them from their clips, just pulled them out to visually confirm they weren't blown. Those are about the only two scenarios I can come up with at this point, to explain why my fan wasn't working despite me jumpering the FAS plug.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts