Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Cost for service???

1480 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  RaiderMike67
Hello i have a 2006 outlander 650 and the guy i bought it from never took it back to the dealer after he bought it, so what all needs to be done with it service wise? It has 125 hours and only 500 miles. Cost? Also sometimes the shifter gets stuck and i have to rock it back and forth to get it in gear, is this normal? Any way to fix that? Any help would be appreciated!
Hello i have a 2006 outlander 650 and the guy i bought it from never took it back to the dealer after he bought it, so what all needs to be done with it service wise? It has 125 hours and only 500 miles. Cost? Also sometimes the shifter gets stuck and i have to rock it back and forth to get it in gear, is this normal? Any way to fix that? Any help would be appreciated!
See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
The user manual is posted on canamoffroad site. If it was mine, I wouldn't trust that the previous owner did any maitenance and go through each item. At the very least, change the engine oil, the gear oil, check your air filter, check the brake pads and change those if needed. Check the coolant which is probably fine. Somewhere on this forum you can get details on checking the valve timing or you can spend big bucks at the dealer and have them take care of all of the above. The shifting thing is normal. They do not shift as smoothly as polaris.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I just adjust the valves myself if so how hard is it to do? Also the radiator is messed up, can I just get a new one off eBay and drop it in?

· Registered
1,185 Posts
What Mark said.

Adjust to your own level of conscientiousness. If it were mine I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb, just to see if there are issues that might come up later. And if the previous owner was as neglectful as you imply, those issues might very well come up.

As for the rocking back and forth, read up on the "one way bearing" on this site.

· Registered
463 Posts
What Mark said.

Adjust to your own level of conscientiousness. If it were mine I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb, just to see if there are issues that might come up later. And if the previous owner was as neglectful as you imply, those issues might very well come up.

As for the rocking back and forth, read up on the "one way bearing" on this site.
I'd like to add look into adding shaffers moly ep oil additive when doing the transmission oil change. It made a huge difference for mine to shift smoothly

· Registered
298 Posts
I don't think much needs to be done seriously if not abused even at 7 years old besides for sure oil change and air filter check/replace and grease zerks.

I bought yesterday my 800cc can am max xt 2008 2-up model just yesterday and for sure going to change oil and air filter both need to get done ASAP and grease zerks before take it out on the trails and see how it goes. Can't imagine a dealer would let it like this but they claim never had time to do either one or check it had it only 4 days in on trade. Has 2500 miles in good shape not all beat up for 5500 bucks - not a bad deal since most dealers would want 6500-7K tops.

Brake pads look like new almost by looking at them owned by an older couple so not all beat up ONLY 177 hours on engine which for 2500 miles can almost guarantee you all trail miles 14 avg mph. As far as other fluids, wouldn't hurt to change them all since 7 years old, but oil and air filter are a key for sure to change/check.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
For piece of mind I'd just take it in for a service, the only problem is some dealers really screw you for basic services. If it has that many hours without a service at the VERY least have the valves adjusted and change the transmission fluid, your front and rear differentials should be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.