Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 can-am outlander 800
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 outlander 800 that will crank over but not start, the battery is fully charged and when you can get it to run it dies off pretty quick and has a clunking noise in the front cylinder. I check the compression and timing chain and all looked good. I just changed the cam and crank sensor and nothing.Can am outlander gen 1 crank but no start

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,210 Posts
What's your fuel pressure lookin like?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your fuel pressure lookin like?
I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge but it builds up pressure in the lines really good. It mainly seems like a electric issue because when it is slowly cranking over the lights on the cluster dim and once the crank cycle is done it looks like it almost resets the cluster and re boots.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,210 Posts
Starter going out? Solenoid?

Reactions: 650outymax

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
if its a 2006 and you haven't changed out the fuel pump i would start there, Mr rpm sells a tester. next i would look at the spark plugs, spark plug wires and boots. bad gas? how long has it sat for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if its a 2006 and you haven't changed out the fuel pump i would start there, Mr rpm sells a tester. next i would look at the spark plugs, spark plug wires and boots. bad gas? how long has it sat for?
So I just checked the fuel injectors and there are squirting out in good spirits. I also check the voltage regulator and swapped it with another machine and nothing. It seems to be a something electrician drawing on the start up, but the battery is 100% and the solenoids seem to be sending the proper voltage and resistance. The spark plugs are getting good spark. I got fuel, spark, compression, and of course air and I’m fairly mechanically inclined but I’m stumped on this one

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,210 Posts
So is it turning over at a good clip? 250-300rpm? Or lugging?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,210 Posts
I don’t think it’s spinning over that fast it’s quite slow. If you go up to my first post there is a link to a video of it.
Just watched it, yeah that's not what I'm accustomed to. You might get it to pop, lugging, like that, but I'm not surprised it's not lighting off. In one of my previous posts, I asked about the health/condition of the starter/solenoid? Tested those yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just watched it, yeah that's not what I'm accustomed to. You might get it to pop, lugging, like that, but I'm not surprised it's not lighting off. In one of my previous posts, I asked about the health/condition of the starter/solenoid? Tested those yet?
The starter and solenoid seem to be good I did figure out that the battery even tho it was a little low “11.5v” it was to low for it to crank. I’ll post a video of where it’s at now.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,210 Posts
Well that's disconcerting..... the way the primary comes to an immediate stop when it shuts off, almost like the bottom end is binding up. I remember reading some of those early Gen1 V-twins had tolerance issues between the main bearings and crank, which could account for your symptoms there. Hope I'm wrong, but do a bit of searching and see if the symptoms you're seeing, match that issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that's disconcerting..... the way the primary comes to an immediate stop when it shuts off, almost like the bottom end is binding up. I remember reading some of those early Gen1 V-twins had tolerance issues between the main bearings and crank, which could account for your symptoms there. Hope I'm wrong, but do a bit of searching and see if the symptoms you're seeing, match that issue.
I ended up pulling the motor the other day and pulling it apart and the piston rod bearing on the crankshaft was toast and the case had a crack in it thanks for the help. New motor coming this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts