Can-Am ATV Forum banner

crankshaft locking tool PN 529035617

1181 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  stademock
I have not been able to locate this crankshaft locking tool in the BRP Canada parts list nor on Amazon.ca
But it seems like an easy job to make one up on my lathe using a high grade bolt. I would need the precise dimensions of the round tip that inserts in the crankshaft to proceed with the project. If anyone has this tool and would measure the diameter of the round tip for me with a .001'' caliper or micrometer I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for your help.
Font Household hardware Electric blue Art Office supplies
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chief,
I saw that one but by the time it is converted to Canadian funds and shipping is added it gets expensive
Would be so easy to make my own if I had the tip diameter.

· Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,225 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I like fab'n my own tools also. Sorry I don't have the deminstions.

Reactions: Tozguy

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
What are you working on @Tozguy?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing in particular. I just want to have the tool on hand in case it comes in handy. Plus it gives me a little project for the lathe.
Chances are I might never need it but the idea of finding TDC using that tool is appealing.
I have serviced the one way bearing twice now using a block of wood to hold the clutch. But using this tool is also an option for holding the primary clutch when removing the outer sheave.

· Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
514 Posts
Nothing in particular. I just want to have the tool on hand in case it comes in handy. Plus it gives me a little project for the lathe.
Chances are I might never need it but the idea of finding TDC using that tool is appealing.
I have serviced the one way bearing twice now using a block of wood to hold the clutch. But using this tool is also an option for holding the primary clutch when removing the outer sheave.
I just got me this for servicing the clutches. Clutch Holter Tool Can Am⇒ JAY PARTS

· Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,225 Posts
I found this video Crank locking Location on Can Am 800, 850, &1000 - YouTube and the guy just used the clutch spreader bolt for the secondary, he turned the #2 cylinder to TDC and then he said that there was a little notch in the crank that you screwed the bolt into to hold the crank from turning. I do not have have that clutch spreader bolt, but if you do, that might give you the measurement your looking for.

When I had my outlanders I had the clutch holding tool similiar to what p_hauschild has and it was money well spend, and it wouldn't be too difficult to fab up.

Reactions: xsever

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have the secondary spreader bolt and a clutch holding tool.
The objective of my request was to see if anyone could give me the dimension of the tip of the tool mentioned in the title of this thread.
I appreciate people trying to help but all I need for now is just that dimension.

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
I already have the secondary spreader bolt and a clutch holding tool.
The objective of my request was to see if anyone could give me the dimension of the tip of the tool mentioned in the title of this thread.
I appreciate people trying to help but all I need for now is just that dimension.
The reason I was asking was because the secondary spreader tool I use has a torx bit on the end. I used it to lock the 400 at tdc on the crank. I was just gonna tell you what the thread pitch was and the diameter of the shaft where there is no threads and then you could test that and see if it works to lock your crank because I dont use that little tool. I just use my secondary tool. If you had to put it on the lathe and take it down a tick more.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
85 Posts
Word to the wise, make sure you get something hard. If it's too soft, it will bend and you might have a hard time taking it out, possibly damaging the threads on the engine portion of it.

or
The tip breaks and falls in the engine.
It has to be pointy/tapered if I recall to lock in the crankshaft.

it's fine just to locate the TDC but torquing the fly wheel has a lot of torque.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My shop manual shows where, when and how to use this tool. I would expect the tip to be a close fit in the 'hole' of the crankshaft. Logically it only needs to be finger tight and I would certainly avoid putting any radial torque on the crankshaft.
Using this tool to 'hold' the crankshaft is an option but I agree that it is not the preferred or most practical way to accomplish that for normal servicing of the CVT.

· Registered
85 Posts
My shop manual shows where, when and how to use this tool. I would expect the tip to be a close fit in the 'hole' of the crankshaft. Logically it only needs to be finger tight and I would certainly avoid putting any radial torque on the crankshaft.
Using this tool to 'hold' the crankshaft is an option but I agree that it is not the preferred or most practical way to accomplish that for normal servicing of the CVT.
The manual tells you to install the tool then remove the nut for the rotor, then reverse order to reinstall. Unless you can use a tool to lock 2 gears together. But according to can am. That locking tool is used to loosen and torque.
I used my secondary clutch tool and it bent slightly. I was shitting brick unthreading it 😂

Attachments

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
but torquing the fly wheel has a lot of torque.
I misunderstood your point the first time maybe.
If you are saying that here is a danger of deforming or shearing the tip of this tool when removing or installing something that puts very high torque on the crankshaft then yes my sphincter would pucker too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts