Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any legal, authorized areas (public or private) in CT we can can responsibly ride? I keep hearing nothing but rumors, and no facts.

I'm willing to pay to play, but seriously- is there anywhere?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw some riders by Thomaston last week along side Rte8- x38. Looks like some established trails. Anyone know the deal?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing this is a big old 'no'. I have reached out to the CT State DEP and asked directly. I encourage anyone owning or riding in Connecticut to reach out to Mr. Joseph Mylie, CT State Representative of The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council ([email protected]) or Mr. Jerry Shinners of the New England Trail Riders Assoc. ([email protected]).

The following was Laurie Giannotti's response:

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:51 AM
To: XXXXXX; Camejo, Raul
Subject: RE: ATV riding in CT
Importance: Low

Hello Mr. XXXX,

DEP understands the frustration that you and other motorized trail users feel. Let me summarize the progress the CT Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has made. In 2002 DEP formally adopted a guidance and management policy for the establishment of ATV facilities on State property. The policy is available to view on our website, www.dep.state.ct.us, if you click on Outdoor Recreation, Other Activities and then ATV/Off Road Vehicles.

In addition, the Agency has met with representatives of the ATV community on numerous occasions to solicit their help in identifying public lands that might be suitable for ATV riding. To date, the Agency has received only one proposal for its potential to support ATV riding.

DEP also has just completed the first phase of an assessment of state lands that may be suitable for such use. The assessment recommended a more detailed look into six state properties it also noted however, that :“… creation of new trail segments that connect existing trails and/or use of trails on privately-owned land would be needed to establish a 30-mile ATV trail system. Furthermore, DEP in conjunction with the Connecticut Departments of Transportation (DOT) and Motor Vehicles (DMV) should evaluate the legality, safety and liability issues associated with sanctioning use of ATVs on forest roads (currently illegal) and multi-use recreational trails. It is likely that use of forest roads will be needed to attain a desirable ATV trail system. In the event that it is not feasible to use forest roads, ATV trails would need to be created parallel to forest roads.” To my knowledge, at this time, DEP has neither the staff nor the funding to conduct phase 2. Perhaps the ATV community will get together and establish something off of state lands.

As you may not know, DEP has always faced significant challenges as we try to serve many constituents often with conflicting needs, while funding and staffing for all of our programs is held in check. Revenues currently collected from ATV riders who choose to register their vehicles with Connecticut’s Department of Motor Vehicles is directed to the State’s General Fund; DEP does not receive any money from this source. As suggested in the policy, legislation requiring that all ATVs be registered, increased registration fees and the dedication of funds from the registrations to a special motorized trail account at DEP has been proposed previously, but the effort has failed to pass past legislative sessions. The successful development of ATV facilities will be dependent upon additional sources of revenue to address the tasks that lie before us in establishing such an area including area layout and planning, engineering, construction, maintenance, and enforcement.

I encourage you, as an enthusiastic CT Rider, to contact Mr. Joseph Mylie, CT State Representative of The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council ([email protected]) or Mr. Jerry Shinners of the New England Trail Riders Assoc. ([email protected]).

You are also welcome to give me a call should you have follow-up questions to this correspondence. Thank you for taking the time to write, I hope you will get involved with one of the organizations I have mentioned to help us explore sustainable ATV use in CT.

Laurie

Laurie Giannotti, CPG
CT DEP Recreational Trails & Greenways Program

Office Hours: M-W 7-4:30; Th 7-3:30
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127
Phone: 860-424-3578 or x3578

Fax: 860-424-4070
Websites: RecTrails and Greenways

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like they are saying that theres no real reason to register your ATV in Ct. They just funnel the money into their pockets, and don't open any areas to ride in..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts