Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first things that I wanted to get when I got my Outlander XT 650 was a rear seat/luggage set-up for the times that my wife occasionally rides on the back as a passenger. Naturally I checked out the Can Am accessories catalog, because I wanted something that was compatible with their LinQ system so that I could quickly and easily install and remove it as needed.

Of course, I quickly realized that Can Am does not sell rear seats for standard wheelbase Outlanders (safety first!). After making the decision to go to the aftermarket to find a seat, I realized I still wanted a quick install and removal system. I checked the aftermarket for something that would work with the LinQ system and the only thing I found was something from Quadboss, but It wasn’t ideal.

Fortunately, I’m a mechanical engineer and have access to 3D design, a 3D printer, and my dad is an expert machinist. I designed what I would call LinQ-nuts and can be securely installed into any of the “tilted hexagons” on a LinQ rack and then you can mount any accessories that you want without U-bolts or drilling into your rack.

I ended up ordering a universal fit Camco Rear Storage Box and Lounger from Amazon and my wife hated it, so it was promptly returned (thank goodness for free returns on Amazon). She requested just using some handles, so she could get a better grip when riding as a passenger. My dad and I custom fabbed some handles that are compatible with the LinQ-nuts and she loves them. I also used the LinQ-nuts to mount my Rotopax 2-gallon gas can/storage box to the front rack.

So far, these things work great. If there is a decent amount of interest on here, I may be convinced to do a limited production run.

The pictures below show my rapid prototypes, how they look on the rack without an accessory mounted, the grab handles installed with LinQ-nuts, and the Rotopax installed with LinQ-nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man this is a great idea, I myself have been looking to attempt this so I can ride more safely with my fiancée, are you able to make a kit for this ? I would buy

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of the first things that I wanted to get when I got my Outlander XT 650 was a rear seat/luggage set-up for the times that my wife occasionally rides on the back as a passenger. Naturally I checked out the Can Am accessories catalog, because I wanted something that was compatible with their LinQ system so that I could quickly and easily install and remove it as needed.

Of course, I quickly realized that Can Am does not sell rear seats for standard wheelbase Outlanders (safety first!). After making the decision to go to the aftermarket to find a seat, I realized I still wanted a quick install and removal system. I checked the aftermarket for something that would work with the LinQ system and the only thing I found was something from Quadboss, but It wasn’t ideal.

Fortunately, I’m a mechanical engineer and have access to 3D design, a 3D printer, and my dad is an expert machinist. I designed what I would call LinQ-nuts and can be securely installed into any of the “tilted hexagons” on a LinQ rack and then you can mount any accessories that you want without U-bolts or drilling into your rack.

I ended up ordering a universal fit Camco Rear Storage Box and Lounger from Amazon and my wife hated it, so it was promptly returned (thank goodness for free returns on Amazon). She requested just using some handles, so she could get a better grip when riding as a passenger. My dad and I custom fabbed some handles that are compatible with the LinQ-nuts and she loves them. I also used the LinQ-nuts to mount my Rotopax 2-gallon gas can/storage box to the front rack.

So far, these things work great. If there is a decent amount of interest on here, I may be convinced to do a limited production run.

The pictures below show my rapid prototypes, how they look on the rack without an accessory mounted, the grab handles installed with LinQ-nuts, and the Rotopax installed with LinQ-nuts.
Depending on costs I would be interested in some as well....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I posted this forever ago and it's blowing up now (just kidding 😂). I'm working on getting something together for all those that may be interested and should have it together in a few days or so. In the meantime, I did a CAD drawing (see pic) of the kit with all the hardware. This will include everything you need to mount it to your rear rack. Painting would be an add-on option if desired.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, I posted this forever ago and it's blowing up now (just kidding 😂). I'm working on getting something together for all those that may be interested and should have it together in a few days or so. In the meantime, I did a CAD drawing (see pic) of the kit with all the hardware. This will include everything you need to mount it to your rear rack. Painting would be an add-on option if desired. View attachment 101734
I would be interested in items 2,3&4 only

·
Registered
12 Posts
Price for 2, 3, & 4 would be $28/each set + shipping. DM me if interested.
Hope the wifey will like that idea. I'll just finish installing the set of tires and the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the truck this week and I'll start working on the bike.

·
Registered
2020 Outlander DPS 850, 2016 Outlander Max XT 1000R
94 Posts
Are these aluminum or stainless steel? Might order some if they're strong enough for an eye bolt in the middle to ratchet strap stuff down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are these aluminum or stainless steel? Might order some if they're strong enough for an eye bolt in the middle to ratchet strap stuff down.
They are currently aluminum but are custom made, so they can be almost any material you would like.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'd love to get 4 sets. I'm a new user having issues with the messenger. Number is four eight 4 nine 9 4 9 4 55

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Them 3D printers are pretty cool. I got a couple, fits my tinkering mind perfectly. I found an adapter for the LinQ on thingiverse. Beefed it up some and reposted. Lots of items on that site. nice to see them realized in metal. Stainless steel would be nice but probably ridiculous in price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hate to rain on the parade because it's a nice product, but a similar product already exists and has for 2 years. It is currently Patent Pending along with a similar product for Polaris, Honda, and CF moto atv's. This Design would be a direct infringement on the filed patent meaning you can not legally sell them. Not wanting to be an asshole or wanting to turn this into a legal matter. I normally wouldn't care, but after spending over 8k on a patent, I need to protect it. Just thought I would give you a heads up so it doesn't have to turn into anything bigger. ATV/UTV-Can-Am Linq

1 - 19 of 19 Posts