Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a can am but I think you guys could help. This past weekend I went on a ride in my stock 2012 yamaha rhino. There was a little bit of mud but nothing terrible. Today after I washed it I noticed a knocking noise in the left side rear end. It knocks when in reverse and when turning. Is the cv bad? The bike has never been mudded and never abused. What could have caused this? What is the best axle to get (other than gorillas)? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep sounds like an inner or outer cv joint. Research rhino axles, cobra axles, or u can buy a cheaper one on eBay. Gorilla=overpriced junk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yep sounds like an inner or outer cv joint. Research rhino axles, cobra axles, or u can buy a cheaper one on eBay. Gorilla=overpriced junk
x2 on Gorilla... not necessarily junk but certainly not as good they want you to believe for the premium price they charge.

I know it's not a can am but I think you guys could help. This past weekend I went on a ride in my stock 2012 yamaha rhino. There was a little bit of mud but nothing terrible. Today after I washed it I noticed a knocking noise in the left side rear end. It knocks when in reverse and when turning. Is the cv bad? The bike has never been mudded and never abused. What could have caused this? What is the best axle to get (other than gorillas)? Thanks for your help
Grab the axle shaft and try to move it in all directions. It should only move in and out towards the rear diff (plunge joint). If there is movement up / down or front / back then the joint is probably shot.

I run Rhino axles from superatv on my bike and only one has failed but it was covered under their $50 warranty so no complaints about that.

On my Grizzly 660 I think I'm going to get the cheap axles from ebay for $250 a pair. You can't beat that price and I don't drive the grizz that hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help please!
Tried to tow large stone with my 500 EFI XT-P, moved it about 5 feet and during that process had black smell come from under the ATV and tires were spinning like crazy. After discontinuing towing, as I was slovenly moving the ATV and turning left/right, I heard this knocking/clicking noise. Can’t tell where it is coming from (front or rear). Only happens when trying to steer left/right. Nothing happens at high straight speeds. Any ideas what this may be?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Help please!
Tried to tow large stone with my 500 EFI XT-P, moved it about 5 feet and during that process had black smell come from under the ATV and tires were spinning like crazy. After discontinuing towing, as I was slovenly moving the ATV and turning left/right, I heard this knocking/clicking noise. Can’t tell where it is coming from (front or rear). Only happens when trying to steer left/right. Nothing happens at high straight speeds. Any ideas what this may be?
Once again inner/ outer cv joint
Only so many things that can click with constant movement of the wheels in gear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts