Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone come across this before. I brought my bike in (2007 800 xt) for the 100hr. service and to change the inner cv boot on the right rear axle.

It has been there for a few days and one of the technicians called me up today and said that I am going to have to replace the whole axle. :th_smiliepullhair:He said that he was not able to get the axle apart to change the boot and that the outboard cv joint, the one that the tire mounts too, is cracked and the spline is messed up so it is a safety issue and it has to be completely replaced.

What kind of crap is that. I am thinking that he screwed my axle up trying to get it all apart to change the boot and is trying to put it off on me. Has anyone heard of this before?

The dealer is Lafayette Powersports in Louisiana. This bike has not been in any kind of wreck or anything and has not been hit or even bumped in that area, ever. There is no physical damage to anything in that area.

I am offshore at the moment and I am not going home for another week so I cant go and check it out in person so I am kind of stuck.

Give me some opinions, please.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will most likely do that. That is a pretty strange thing if you ask me............all of a sudden I need to purchase an axle assembly. He tells me that they cannot remove the CV's to change the boot out and I have to replace an axle because the CV is cracked.

I wish that I would have taken pictures before I dropped it off over there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you still under warranty? If so it doesn't matter how it got cracked if they are replacing it under warranty....unless it is the loss of ride time you are worried about.

If not I would go with Quadaholic's advise.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, that is another issue. The bike technically went out of warranty yesterday, if I am not mistaken. I really need to check to be sure. But I know for sure that it goes out this month. I figure that the dealer must have noticed that little bit of information also. Man, this is pi**^ng me off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You say the bike was in the shop for a few days, so even if the warranty expired today you had it in the shop before the warranty was up. Regardless, if you're that close to warranty they should take care of you....especially if they screwed it up.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I checked on the exact date when my warranty runs out and it is on the 17th of this month. Which is the original date that I scheduled to pick the bike up from the shop. I am calling them today to try to work this out over the phone.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is cool. Just wanted to let yall know of the outcome. Finally made a breakthrough and argued with this dealer for more than two days. Evidently he had a change of tune today whenever he finally realized that I still had warranty left on my bike.

He never had ran the VIN until today. All of a sudden he comes out and say that we are going to cover the whole thing and we are sorry for the mix up. He also said that it was the technician the tried pulling the axle apart is what truly caused the damage. So I am getting a new axle and not going to be charged for the ripped CV boot since a new axle assembly will be replaced. Kind of sad actually..................but it is all good now.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
it may not really matter alot to most but as i recall, the CV outter joints went from an external retaining clip for the outter joint to, in mid 08, an internal clip.

this means if the "tech" didnt know this and tried to beat the 07 outter joint off, like a current axel, it would not work out too well. to put it mildly.:th_smiliefrustrated

:smilietwocents:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad that you brought that up.............I wil bring that little bit of information to light when I call them in the morning. From what I understand, they have still not gotten the axle apart as of yet, thanks.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another update on this situation as it is still not cleared up completely. A week ago I picked up my bike and looked it over and from what I could tell the new axle was a little different. Different in a way that the inner cv boot looks to be compressed compared to the other side. No big deal, I questioned the tech about it and he said that it is a new boot design.

In my opinion, this boot is actually going to kill itself eventually. It actually rubs itself all the time and I can already see a wear mark.

Anyway today I was riding it around my house and in the local area just cruising and not doing anything crazy. I get back home and look the boot over and I noticed that one side did not look like the other. What I mean is that they forgot to install the wear sleeve when they changed the axle.

I looked it up on the parts fiche and it is only a $5 part and I am not completely sure of its purpose but I decided to give them a call. I made it aware that this part is missing and everything became very defensive on their part. So he talked about how he lost money on the work they did to my bike already because it was a warranty issue and all of this kind of crap. He wouldn't even give me an appointment and actually told me to find another dealer. But towards the end of the call I was able to make an appointment for couple of weeks later.

So here is a question..................do they really lose money on warranty jobs? He said he did me a favor by doing the job through warranty. Doesn't really make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
So here is a question..................do they really lose money on warranty jobs? He said he did me a favor by doing the job through warranty. Doesn't really make sense to me.
It's possible. Just like a car warranty, the mechanic has to beat the book time.
If the skippy tech takes 5 hours to do a 1 hour job guess who eats it? The dealer.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha, Now he is basically going to take it all down again because he left the wear sleeve out. I see where he could be pissed off but it is no fault of mine. After all of this I am going to look for another dealer...................I will just have to travel alot further, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts