Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks, new member here. came to the site to find some answers. sorry for long first post

I have an '05 - 500 that I purchased new. only has 88 hours, but kept inside and maintained. a few months ago developed a problem of would not stay running after about 15 - 30 of use. dies, hard to restart, backfires, does not take fuel, just would not run until cooled off. Then after cool it may or may not start and or run.

Thanksgiving, took it to the dealer(gold level), for repairs also requested general maintenance, oil, filter, grease, etc. About a month later Dealer called said they cleaned the entire fuel system and did requested maintenance and bike was ready to go ($965 bill ... 850 labor 115 parts and supplies). Got it home rode it next day same problem!! Took it back two days later (I live 90 miles from dealer), they called within 2 hours said it was ready, "they had missed something in the fuel system". Was able to go back and pick it up about 2 weeks later. Did not get to ride it 'till about 2 more weeks (due to work). Same Thing!!! will not run when it gets hot. Finally get to take it back about the 1st of Feb. Dealer called 3weeks later said it was ready, "said fuel pump was intermittent" so they replaced it. Got it home yesterday March 6. (after another $270 ... $200 labor $70 parts) SAME PERFORMANCE!!! it will not run after it gets hot.

Anybody got any ideas Thanks in advance ... Kenny

·
Registered
652 Posts
Following...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
coil or wire. mabee a plug.

·
Registered
299 Posts
1235.00 dropped into an 05 with 88hrs, not including gas, time, wear/tear on vehicle, what a shame. I had similar problems with my 09 outlander max xt that i bought used. Turned out to be fuel pump. I bought an fuel gauge (JEGS Performance Products 41013, JEGS Fuel Pressure Gauges | JEGS Performance Products to advance to buy clamps, etc. and put in line to see what pressure was. it was low, around 21 and should be around 51 if memory serves me and i took my tank off and cleaned it out from the inside. Along with some suggestions on the other forum, also had a spark plug with the tip bent at an 90 degree angle. Any error msgs on display? Just for a heads up, no matter the star rating, can't believe dealer does what they say they do? I would have had issues paying them the other 270.00 since the first go around was to have covered that (they cleaned the entire fuel system). You have 185.00 in parts, the rest labor. If you have time, a lot of that you can do yourself and save a truck load of money. This forum and the other is loaded with gents that can help troubleshoot and give advice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Id be asking for a refund

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, thanks for the reply. I too think it may be a coil.

I talked to the service manager again today. I told him I put a stop pay on the $270. I also told him if I had to spend anymore money on this atv, I was going go another route. I was going to spend it on having someone contact him with intentions of getting my money back, including my mileage which is currently at $438 (according to government website, 57.5 cents/mile).

He said he "the owner doesn't look to highly on someone issuing a stop pay". I told him well this atv owner doesn't look to highly on someone charging him $1300 and not fixing his atv either!

I'm supposed to get it back them this week he told me there would be no more labor charges.

·
Registered
61 Posts
rod, im not an expert mechanic, but coil sounds logical, but the bigger issue is that a 10 yr old quad usually will have multiple issues due to age thus making diagnosis tougher. could be simple or complicated. not sure if valve clearance has an effect on hot engine

·
Registered
721 Posts
Aren't the 05s carb'd? When it dies, have you tried cracking the drain on the bowl to see if your still getting fuel?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
They first thing to diagnosis this properly, If you know it will die hot take plastic off so you can axcess sparkplug wire easly & fuel line. You need to cut the system in half when it dies check for spark if no spark then check for ignition pulse at primary side of coil you will need a lab scope or test light I know this sounds hard but its not, its the only way to properly diagnosis. the dealer should have done this.I would talk to the owner & ask either to fix or a full refund its really that simple.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
My guess.......bad stator. Shuts off, runs bad, won't start when hot. Works ok when cold. get bike hot and test stator. Bet it won't pass. Older Outlanders are known to have a bad stator every now and then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a bike years ago that did the same thing, run good cold but as soon as motor warmed up it would spit and sputter then would die. I thought it was carb issue, I rebuilt it about ten times still nothing. Finally I took it to dealership, ended up being top end. When it heated up the rings wouldn't seal anymore and compression was lost. They rebuilt top end and it was good as new.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Are you sure it's not a 400? I don't think the Can Am Outlander 500 came out until after 06?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure it's not a 400? I don't think the Can Am Outlander 500 came out until after 06?
sorry it is a 400,

guys got it back to dealer yesterday, told em this was last chance to get it right. it was put it in writing that there would be no labor charge. we will see what happens. I also gave them some suggestion as to what to check (thanks Can-Am forum). i'll let ya'll know the outcome thanks guys

·
Registered
299 Posts
sorry it is a 400,

guys got it back to dealer yesterday, told em this was last chance to get it right. it was put it in writing that there would be no labor charge. we will see what happens. I also gave them some suggestion as to what to check (thanks Can-Am forum). i'll let ya'll know the outcome thanks guys
probably in the next month you'll get it? I bet that went over like a ton of bricks suggesting them what to look for?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would never use this dealer again and dispute your bill, $1200 and they haven't fixed it yet? A 400 is a pretty basic ATV and it sounds like they took you to the cleaners. If replacing the fuel pump didn't fix the problem how do you know there was a problem with the fuel pump?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would have guessed fuel pump. Mine was Identical symptoms. New fuel pump fixed. FYI the stock Can Am fuel pump is NOT recommended. Use the Lexus/Toyota part. Good idea to put a fuel pressure guage in. Also, a cheap timing light with inductive pickup will make troubleshooting ignition easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about the price this dealership has been charging you. I have an Outlander Max 400 2005 and I'm not sure if you're having the same issue .. Mine would die on me after 20-30 minutes and I would not be able to turn it on until a certain amount of time.. Carb looked clean at first and previous owner installed an inline fuel filter last time he shop cleaned the carb.. Was driving me nuts .. Finally figured out after taking apart the carb that there's a screen under the barrel where the needle of the float is.. Was almost clogged in .. that did it for me .. Hope it helps .. good luck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts