Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem on their Defender 6x6. After a ride in August I noticed that the rear seal seemed to be leaking. Only have 425 miles on it, so I took some pictures of it and took it to the dealer and they hadn't seen that before (no surprise there as this is the 1st year of this model), but they said that it should be covered. Made an appointment and they changed it under warranty. My brother has the same machine and his is leaking the exact same way. He's going to schedule an appointment for his next month.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't have a 6x6 but my front diff seal is leaking also although it just seeps a fairly small amount. It had around 8000 miles at the time. It looks as though the rear diff uses a expandable breather on the 6x6. Maybe have the seal replaced, get rid of that expandable breather and just use more hose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a 6x6 but my front diff seal is leaking also although it just seeps a fairly small amount. It had around 8000 miles at the time. It looks as though the rear diff uses a expandable breather on the 6x6. Maybe have the seal replaced, get rid of that expandable breather and just use more hose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Funny you should say that, my brother thinks that the expandable breather may be part of the problem also, but I've never heard of them causing that kind of problem before. I've ordered a snorkel kit and they give hoses for the breather from the gear box, water pump and gas tanks to put them up higher, it would probably be a good idea to put a hose on the rear diff and put it up high and also extend the front diff hose higher. I don't intentionally go into deep water, but shit happens and it's better to be prepared. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Chief,

How are you liking your 6x6 defender? Anything you have noticed with it pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Loving it so far. Only have 425 miles on it and the only problem was the rear diff seal was leaking (fixed under warranty). Was not impressed with the tires (27" Bighorn 6-ply) so upgraded to 28" Blackwater 8-ply tires.
Other than the tires, the only con would be it's lack of accessories (no winch, no windows, no doors, no bumpers etc...) on it stock. So far I have added the winch, front and rear window, snorkel, half doors.
The main pro is the fact that it is a Point and Go and it's hauling capacity. I use to pull a trailer with all my camping gear, now I've sold that trailer and can carry all my stuff and then some in the 6' bed. Another con would be it's turning ability, I thought it would be an issue, but it turns really good. Also I like that it has a 10.5 gallon fuel capacity, I have been getting about 10mpg so that give me a at least 100 miles a tank of gas.

Edit: Another CON, does not come with complete skid plates (had to fab the lateral skid plates from UHMW to protect the floorboard area and Gas Tank).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said in my 1st post, that my brother had the same seal leaking issue as I had, and both our machines had the seals replaced by a dealership (his at AMD & mine at Team CC). We were talking about the fact that our factory warranty is about to run out, and that issue with the seal leaking came up, when we looked at his and we saw that the seal was damaged already (he had 49 miles on it since the replacement was done). When I went home and checked mine and it was also damaged (I have about 100 miles since it was replaced).
The Defender 6x6 uses the final drive of a 2020 Commander and in 2020 they changed the U-joint assembly and the oil seal on the Commander.
We had to drive down to Soldotna to get the seals (no one else had them in Alaska), and when we talked to that dealership they said that they had already had to replace several due to leaking, but they never seen any like what we had.
I'm wondering if this is going to be major issue for these machines. Has anyone else with the Defender 6x6 or a 2020 Commander seen this issue.
IMG_1882[1].JPG

·
Registered
978 Posts
The only time I've seen a seal do something like that is if the lip got caught when it got installed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time I've seen a seal do something like that is if the lip got caught when it got installed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I can't help but wonder, what are the odds of this happening on two different machines worked on by two different shops.

It's almost comical, when my outlander 6x6 had the u-joint fail, he was able to go just 10miles further and his u-joint failed, then when I noticed my rear seal leaking on my defender 6x6 he checked his and it was also leaking, and now this.

We had a overnight ride scheduled for this coming Tuesday, now I'm taking it into the shop on Tuesday and I don't know how long they'll have it. Hopefully the service department can shed some light on what caused this. Needless to say, I will be checking it numerus times the next few rides after I get it back, until I have more confidence in it.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it took a week but we got both of the seals replaced at two different dealerships again and I didn't really check it out when I picked mine up, but after I unloaded it at home, I looked at it and the seal was coming up again. When we picked my brothers up, it was good and the service manager said what was happening was the inner lip of the seal was rolling over when installing it like CanAmRanger said. I took mine back and this time they had a seal in stock and they took it right in and later in the afternoon they texted me that is was ready for pickup. This time I checked it carefully at the shop and it looks good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts