Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Defender Limited losing oil

991 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  CanAmRancher1
I have a 2021 Defender Limited with 165 hours. I have experienced the same issue twice. First time at 104 hrs. and the second time at 149 hrs. I had the unit serviced at 50 hours then again at 104hrs. I got an alarm to shut the engine off. I shut the engine off and checked the oil. The unit was almost 2 quarts low on oil. The unit is not leaking oil nor does it appear to be burning oil. It's not smoking and I can't smell oil burning. I took the unit to my local dealer where I bought it, They checked it out but did not find any leaks or indication that it is burning oil. They changed the oil and filter and told me to keep an eye on it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
My deja vu bells are clanging away, I can't remember why, tho. Something about the defenders air intake tract near the exhaust that lends itself to burning a hole in the tube, allowing for "dusting" of the engine. Man I hope I'm mis-remembering.....

Can you get someone to follow behind you? They'd be able to report smelling the oil burning that you can't see.

Search the site here, I swear I've read of this, but it's got to be a rare rare occurrence.

And welcome to the site!

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
My deja vu bells are clanging away, I can't remember why, tho. Something about the defenders air intake tract near the exhaust that lends itself to burning a hole in the tube, allowing for "dusting" of the engine. Man I hope I'm mis-remembering.....

Can you get someone to follow behind you? They'd be able to report smelling the oil burning that you can't see.

Search the site here, I swear I've read of this, but it's got to be a rare rare occurrence.

And welcome to the site!
Yup some of the pre 2018 models had that issue. It can still happen on newer models but the heat shielding is way better after 2018.

Is the machine still under warranty?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts