·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kudos Dale, great stuff!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Excellent!! I have a q, I'd like to do the muzzy slip on and tuner from vforce John, how will this kit work with these bolt ons, any changes? I'm running first gen 27" bighorns. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running it with 29.5s and it works great.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nice vid

·
Registered
137 Posts
My kit will be here shortly, perfect for a good ride tomorrow!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Kit is in. Used alum rivets with 27" first gen bighorns. Let's see what happens tomorrow.A buddy gave me a hand, let's say neither of us seen a cvt like this nor have we squished weights in place in a bench vise!!! Freaked us out really. Lol. FYI all stock except k&n and prefilter. Muzzy slip on ordered and hopefully a digituner blessed by vforcejohn soon too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Kit is working quite well!! What peak rpm should I be running wot. Stock tuning and pipe for now, muzzy slip on and digituner ordered.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It would be intersting to compare all the different clutching options on the same atv. Maybe a shoot out. Springs,Cvtech,qsc,Dalton, high alt weights,stm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running a 2012 Outty 1000 XT and purchased the Dalton 1000 DBO after installing 27" Itp Mud Lites last week. I'm a rookie wrencher and wanted to bounce the question off a couple of you guys. I'm generally running between 800 - 2000 ft above sea level, and following the instructions provided it said to press the .85 rivots into the arms, which I did last night without too much difficulty. It was reccommended running the arms empty if you were primarily in sand or running above 4000 ft elevations. Threw everything back together with the new Y/R spring provided and I'm noticing a slight lag when I hit the power (like a snowmobile clutch, it will rev a bit before engaging). Is this normal? I know the engagement speed is up about 200 rpms from stock but I thought it would be a bit smoother at engagement, I also installed a new EPI severe duty belt at the same time. Questions: 1. I also noticed the new weighted arms when installed , did not fall as freeley as the stock ones when in place, I know they are lighter but aren't they supposed to move freeley. Can you recommend a lubrication perhaps or should I just stay away from it altogether, I noticed the vidoes did not use anything other than like a brake cleaner to ensure the priomary face was clean and free of grease etc. 2. I'm wondering if I should have skipped the weighted rivots altogether (like the dirt trax video) or would that make the engagement speed even higher 3. I'm wondering if I did not torque the primary enough when re-installing it solo without any tools other than a torque wrench and a spare hand <- I did say I was a rookie! Any info or thoughts would be appreciated guys and thanks!

·
Registered
848 Posts
0. It will rev higher before it engages and you need to break in that belt. Did you clean your clutch sheaves with brake cleaner after assembly and before the new belt? Any dirt or oils (even from your hand) will affect the performance.

1. My new Dalton weights move just as freely as the stock. I use my air compressor to blow out the old belt dust. Just be careful you don't blow away one of the button sliders when doing it. Did you make certain the washers on either side of the new weight were installed? They were when you took off the old weights.

2. The spring controls the engagement for the most part but the weights do play a small part. The heavier the weight the more pinch it has on the belt plus it changes your shift out.

3. GET a TORQUE WRENCH. I add some loctite to the bolt threads as well. If that primary comes off while hitting the throttle you can really hurt yourself. Remember that primary is beside your ankle and not far from your manhood, what is gonna happen if it flies apart even at idle let alone 9000rpm???

best of luck with your wrenchin' and learnin'

Reactions: jpfleming71

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya know I'm getting a little slip. gonna tear down and thoroughly clean all over again. What happens if I leave the Y/R spring and put the 3 stock arms back in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts