Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you ride in soft loamy dirt at all times, with no rocks, you will be fine without them. And if you do ride in soft loamy dirt at all times, let us know where you ride, so we can come join you. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
As long as you don't run over large fallen trees or huge rocks, you don't need them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
All depends on where and how you ride. Can am frames ain't the most stout out there. But like stated above if your just bombing around on trails probably fine without.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you are asking if you need skid plates then you need skid plates! HAHA. Anyhow they are absolutely a smart idea to install no matter what type of riding you do. I guess if you on;y road on flat fire roads you'd be fine without them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got the Iron Baltic plastic skids ordered yesterday, they are $100 off on full skid sets right now both aluminum and the plastics. I didn't really think I would need them but for $415 it seems like a smart investment for a brand new quad. Side note, I was bummed to see that $155 of that was shipping...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got the Iron Baltic plastic skids ordered yesterday, they are $100 off on full skid sets right now both aluminum and the plastics. I didn't really think I would need them but for $415 it seems like a smart investment for a brand new quad. Side note, I was bummed to see that $155 of that was shipping...
Coming from Eastern Europe, and with US Customs fees, duties, etc, not at all surprising.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just ordered and installed mine.... with about 4 rides on mine all in snow i had already damaged the factory skid and cracked the floor boards from dropping into the snow.. By the the time i converted to CAD funds i was up around $800 but still cheaper than replacing things

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
18000kms in Rocky northern New Brunswick.

Stock skids.

And my bike is probably a bit lower than most the way I have my elkas set.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got the skids yesterday and as mentioned above, I should not have been surprised about the shipping due to were they came from, and they showed up real quick so no complaints there. They look real solid, I'll have to attach the plow and see how all that works out as far as modifying anything. If everything turns out I'll post some pics of anything I had to chop up due to the Moose plow and mount. Directions are a little bogus but they will get the job done for sure. Just take a little figuring out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was looking at that last night zrock. My plow mount will never fit under the plates with the hardware and the connecting lobes, I would almost have to cut up the plates. My plan was to slap them on and then just remove the center and footwells in one rip each fall and redo the mount but I'm not sure how easy that will be. My other plan was getting longer U bolts and mounting over the plates but I'm not sure if that will workout, I need to get the plow in the garage tonight and look into what kind of clearances I'll have and if it will effect any of the plow movement. I appreciate the heads up tho man.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dang this thread. Showed me Iron Baltic (which I've been looking at for awhile) is $100 off right now!!

I think I'll end up biting on that. I've already had to replace a cv boot. While it wasn't hard, it was time consuming. I know I've slapped a few rocks under the water before.

Bye bye $439! at least its free shipping...

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
689 Posts
Go to their website, its a banner on top.

you can try this link too: Collections

I just placed my order, I can't pass up $100 in savings!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Buying a 2020 Outlander 650 XT. Do you think I need aftermarket skid plates?
I don’t think you do. I have 2014 650 max cut and it already came with stock plastic skid plate I went over stumps and some rock, I added the flex plow also, I do have to drop the plastic skid plate every once in a while to clean under it. It’s not cracked or damage and already 6 year wow. It also sits pretty high and I upgraded the tires nov. last year to bigger one from stock. I live in Michigan and travel to trails all around, plow the drive way in the winter pull trailer for lawn work and haul to my daughter and sons Mx races so I’m not running to the starting gate. It’s an all around tank of a machine. I do want another one tho post some pictures when you get it!!!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts