Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to the site and have a question. I am planning on getting an HMF Swamp Series exhaust for my 2007 Outlander 500 XT. I read on HMF's site that you should rejet your quad first. So should I? Extra Info: I am also planning on getting a K&N air filter, the atv is all stock except for a snorkel, only getting the slip-on, and I ride low altitude. (Florida Backwoods)
Any info on what rejetting is and how to do it is also greatly appreciated.
THANKS!

·
Registered
565 Posts
In general, any modification that changes the amount of air coming into and out of the engine will effect the air/fuel ratio. A higher flowing air filter along with a free flowing exhaust will allow the engine to pull in and exhaust more air, leaning it out. That will require more fuel. The fuel injection system on your ATV is not a smart as the one on your car or truck. It is preprogrammed fro how much fuel to pu into the engine at a given throttle position and RPM. It can't read a lean condition and add more fuel like your car since it doesn't have an oxygen sensor. It would be a good idea to add even a basic fuel programmer to it with those mods. There are a lot of options out there to pick from.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In general, any modification that changes the amount of air coming into and out of the engine will effect the air/fuel ratio. A higher flowing air filter along with a free flowing exhaust will allow the engine to pull in and exhaust more air, leaning it out. That will require more fuel. The fuel injection system on your ATV is not a smart as the one on your car or truck. It is preprogrammed fro how much fuel to pu into the engine at a given throttle position and RPM. It can't read a lean condition and add more fuel like your car since it doesn't have an oxygen sensor. It would be a good idea to add even a basic fuel programmer to it with those mods. There are a lot of options out there to pick from.
What programmer would you suggest?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
A digi-tuner will be fine with your set up. It is just a fuel adder. They should have them where you buy your exhaust. they are all made by the same manufacturer and relabeled. If you have engine mods planned down the line, It may be worth it to look into one of the other programmers tho.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What programmer would you suggest?

PM sent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts