Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys thats been runnin these machines for a while. My friend just insists on me gettin some skid plates and a spine stiffner. I mostly ride at the local rides here in louisiana- mudd parks, mudd holes , ruts... etc. Hardly ever trail ride. Im runnin a 800r outlander xt with a pcv and hmf, 28" outlaws. Puttin 45 hp to the ground. Do i really need these upgrades or would it be worth it? I could see puttin the spine in if i had some extreme mods done to my engine, but i think it would be fine like it is. Any opinions would be great!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
skids are by far the best first purchase, imho.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The chassis spine isn't needed based on horsepower - it's needed based on "what if's"... meaning, what if you hit a rut at an angle and drop a wheel into at too high a speed and that wheel comes to a stop, but the other 850 pounds of machine and rider don't?... yep, most likely a creased, tweaked, or totally bent frame.

What if you are running wfo in prarie grass passing another rider (like me) and suddenly, there is a very large rock that you don't see till yer right on top of it... yep, creased/cracked lower a-arm mounts

What if yer cruising along and you manage to catch a tree root (you know, those trees that grow on the side of a sunken trail) with one front tire and again, the remaining 850 pounds don't wanna stop?... I think you've gotten the point.

It's cheap insurance not to have to make an insurance claim.

As for skids, think it varies on where you ride. I bought an outlander and let it sit in the garage for 2 weeks waiting on skids before my first ride. Rocks wreak havoc on unprotected frames.

·
Lifetime Member / Experienced Builder
6,533 Posts
don't get skids for mud riding. they just hold you back. a chassis spine wouldn't be a bad idea, but i know tons of mud guys that never run them and never have a problem.

·
Registered
864 Posts
We ride same type areas as you over here in texas. won't run skid plates they just pack with mud and add more weight carrying all that mud. The a-arm protectors do the same. Yes the spine is a good idea, and I might do it in the future myself.

·
Registered
378 Posts
don't get skids for mud riding. they just hold you back. a chassis spine wouldn't be a bad idea, but i know tons of mud guys that never run them and never have a problem.

X2! I put the steel tubing in mine. Cheap insurance. I don't like the full skids either, carry too much mud around with me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep just may get the spine. As fir the skids i may hold off. I thought the spine was mainly from high hp, but i guess there is other stuff it protects against too. Good info!! Where do u get these spines from??

·
Lifetime Member / Experienced Builder
6,533 Posts
they are trail ready out of the box. rode mine for a whole year with it almost completely stock. they are not abuse ready, though...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
trail ready ?,,,what quad is trail ready ?,,,you need skids on anything,,,if ya start bashing rocks,,,buddy on his 850 popo,,,caught a rock,,pushed in his front frame enough,,,to tweak the alignment on his front diff,,,,i had richo's on my 09 grizzly 550,,mashed the back skid so bad,,,it pushed up on the rear diff,,,so these aren't ready,,for crazy riding,,like alot do,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts