Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my 2021 Outlander 1000r XMR ready for me to change out all the oils. Not so fast, here is a some pictures to enlighten people on what to expect. It can be done, but PATIENTS will be needed. It took me over an good hour just to get it to this point. BRP has decided to add more bolts and screws to make this job interesting to say the lease. BRP has decided to screw every thing together along with the usual nuts and bolts. They even put a screw through the side panel into and up under into the cluster. One thing I found out is that the floor board came out easier once I pop out the front first. Yes I used power tools where they would fit in to help speed things up. Like I said, lots of PATIENTS and it can be done, but I'm letting my dealer do the next one. They will also be doing the valves, witch I'm not comfortable doing.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Cake

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Once you have done it a couple times it will take about 20 mins to get to that point. Get yourself a nice impact driver and it will make quick work of it all.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
259 Posts
Is the 850 that much different than the 1k? I didn't remove any plastic to change the fluids? Gear box from the under side, oil from the front throttle side. I may have removed the one front plastic peice in the wheel well to get to the filter which is just a couple push pins. I also removed the center skid plate.

Geezzzz

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once you have done it a couple times it will take about 20 mins to get to that point. Get yourself a nice impact driver and it will make quick work of it all.

LOL, You and a army could not take this ATV apart in 20 minutes. Read post, I had impact tools. I know how to do this and 20 minutes is a joke and insult!!

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Is the 850 that much different than the 1k? I didn't remove any plastic to change the fluids? Gear box from the under side, oil from the front throttle side. I may have removed the one front plastic peice in the wheel well to get to the filter which is just a couple push pins. I also removed the center skid plate.

Geezzzz
Nah they are the same. How did you fill your gearbox without removing footwell? Yah he doesn't need to go that far if he is just changing engine oil but doesn't hurt to clean everything.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
LOL, You and a army could not take this ATV apart in 20 minutes. Read post, I had impact tools. I know how to do this and 20 minutes is a joke and insult!!
Did you do the other side also? If you just do one side I can sure do it in 20 minutes as long as I had gotten all my tools together before hand.

• Haha
Reactions: Born2atv

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nah they are the same. How did you fill your gearbox without removing footwell? Yah he doesn't need to go that far if he is just changing engine oil but doesn't hurt to clean everything.

No there not the same. My 2014 was totally waaaay easier. 1000 has max frame and a lot more to take apart. For one does your 850 have four screws 2 at front 2 at rear screwed from floor boards to body panels. 850 does not have to deal with bolts in the step. It is clear you don't know what a 2021 1000r XMR takes to do an oil change. Maybe google and learn.
To change all oils, motor, trans and diffs. Trans bolts are easier to get to with floor boards out of the way. Maybe next time, now that I know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did not have to remove anything but the side panel to service all my fluids... not that bad of a job at all

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Can't really get to trans nuts till floor board is remove. Yes the oil filter looks do able with front panels removed, but I'm doing a complete oil change. Do you have a max frame? Trans bolt are easy to reach with floor board removed. Like I said BRP added screws to my XMR.:mad: They were not on my 2014, witch was a lot easier.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
585 Posts
No reflection on anyone here but for me the first oil and filter change, including diff oils, was a revelation. This was my first ever experience with quads after a lifetime of working on cars and motorcycles. I could not believe how much had to be removed. Sure practice helps but I ain't looking forward to the next time even after making a couple of mods to streamline the operation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can't really get to trans nuts till floor board is remove. Yes the oil filter looks do able with front panels removed, but I'm doing a complete oil change. Do you have a max frame? Trans bolt are easy to reach with floor board removed. Like I said BRP added screws to my XMR.:mad: They were not on my 2014, witch was a lot easier.

Haaaa - sorry fellows - that's probably it - the max frame. And it was still tough.

@Tozguy I agree 100% - there is not very much that's easy about working on these or even cleaning these things. The ratchets I thought id never use with the offset heads and the wobbly extensions help. At first I was upset about the nuts on almost all the bolts instead of just threading into the frame. Looking back on things this and after YEARS of use the threaded holes in the frame end up stripping out (no matter how careful you are and always use a tourque wrench) and nuts are used as a remedy. Kinda seems like Can-am just skipped to the nut to avoid the head ache - or maybe create a head ache earlier in life. Though it does make things rough at times the part I easily forget is ride right before one realizes that the threads in the frame was stripped and something vibrated loose on the trail. This stage has been skipped by going right to nuts.

I still wish it was easier -

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Can you show us what bolts they have added? I have done plenty of max outlanders and they have been no harder than shorty outlanders.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh that was a general statement, not pertaining to changing the oil specifically. Just generally speaking, the bike is held together with nuts and bolts unlike other bikes where the bolt threads into the frame or other threaded section which makes for a FUN disassembly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did the oil and just removed the front inner panel by the tire - 2 plastic rivets. Nothing else removed.

Trannsission get yourself a transfer pump.
This is user error here, you don’t need to dismantle the entire side of the bike. Work smart, not hard.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
I said 20 minutes to get to where he is at. These really aren't hard to work on.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
nop did not remove the floor board to do the trans..

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
182 Posts
nop did not remove the floor board to do the trans..
Zrock, you need to learn me on how to drain and refill the trans easier than I did it! I remember when I first got my outlander. I stripped almost every piece of plastic off so I could see what was going on under there. I also went through and checked all of the bolts for tightness, put dielectric grease in every connector then went about mounting winch, skid plate, front hitch, etc. It was a great way for me to learn what I needed to remove to get to whatever. I've made several mods on the bike to make things go easier and it helps being a tool junkie. I've only serviced my trans once and pulled my foot board but I swore that I'd come up with some way to not have to do that next time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Can you show us what bolts they have added? I have done plenty of max outlanders and they have been no harder than shorty outlanders.

I will try , they added two screws to the front and rear that go from floor board to front fender and rear fender. Once you remove them you don't need to put them back. Also the cluster has four bolts and nuts to be removed after you take the face of cluster off, then you can get to the bolts and nuts. Very stupid move on BRP, my 2014 just pop off. So to get the side panel off you must pry up on the cluster to remove the new screw BRP put in to piss us off, and yes you can leave that sucker off too. there is no way I'm doing trans oil changes with the floor boards on. It was hard enough trying to get a wrench on the bottom nut. It is position right in the middle of the side frame support. Then you have the extra frame support at rear to get a round. It went back together a lot faster. I did crawl under the ATV before I removed the floor board and I decided that popping off the floor board was the way I would go. As they say the more you do something the easier it gets. I just prefer the floor board out of my way. And to add, BRP moved the front diff. drain plug. It is under the diff, more easier to get to. But when you first come see this, my thought was where is the drain plug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts