Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my original post got a little off track so Im going to take a do over and hopefully this one will just be fun stuff.........

Hi,
My name is Anthony and Im a Can Am-Aholic
I picked up this 07 Outlander HO XT 400 back in December locally.
Im the 3rd owner and its good to go :th_ATVsmiley:

Got out yesterday finally and did a 30 mile loop mostly in 2wd before this next storm set in and did a little bit of 4wd trails but the best trails are up top.....and it was pretty socked in and BLOWING up there so I aborted that plan.

Enjoy

I may put the 120 jet in the carb once I get a feel for this 133 but Im super happy.
What a beast!
Love this thing
Could have run the k&n too since there wasnt any dust but I just wanted to get a tank of gas thru it and nail down its range.
3hrs into it it started raining so watev 29.9 miles and still 1/4 tank showing on the gauge it is, for now
....still plenty of warm weather coming for that when spring decides to come back!

The long downhill cruising engine braking is soooo much better with a good idle and the 27s.
Hardly surgy at all and easily manipulated with the throttle, so much smoother than before where it was trying to throw me over the handlebars and spilling my coffee haha

Love it

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Random pics

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,
After 3 full days of hard riding including the full on black diamond trails and some shit I should be older and smarter enuff to stay away from,

I would like to report...

BEST QUAD I'VE EVER BUILT!!!!

Thank u to everyone for all the help getting it done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did manage to flip it over on its side , bad combo of off camber and a rock and a litttle too much throttle. But the winch made short work of gettin er back on all fours. Cracked some front fender plastic dammit, fubard the right side grip end but other than that no damage done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran all day saturday, never got to reserve on the tank.

Topped it off sat nite and ran all day sun and yesterday ..70 miles on the odo with the 14" 27s and still didnt have to switch the tank.

I dunno if this thing is ever gonna run out of gas haha

I guess next weekend im going to have to start night riding too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Throttle response thru the entire range is spot on, itll idle all day long, cold starts with choke np and dont need choke after a couple mins at all.

High range 4wd rips right up anything and when it gets steep and starts to bog , well, twist the throttle and plenty of reserve power to get up & over.

Low range....ahhhhh lo range.
I went down some trails i couldnt walk down they are so steep and covered with loose shale rock and this thing in lo is like a freakin tank thanks to the engine braking!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank u bombardier/can am for an awesome product and thanks again all for everything.

Cant wait to get out there and do it some more!!!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit of cosmetic damage from the flip over.

The broken plastic pisses me off, it was so immaculate, oh well thats what superglue is for i guess. Just kinda suks. Guess i got the 1st one out of the way.

Maybe ill be a lil more careful now....um yeah probably not lol

All in all it held up pretty good for goin over on its side. The handlebars are good. Few scratches and a ripped grip. Guess i dont miss that right side handlebar brake lever so much anymore after all.

Pretty tough quad i like it.

Always try not to go over but it happens and ive seen wayyy worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...thanks
Yeah ouch
Its healing up well.
Burns take for freakin ever lol
Worse part is i have to work and its in a really bad spot to wrap.
Meh
It happens. Itll heal soon enuff.

Ive seen worse....way worse.
Like that guy that likes to ride with us in shorts and ended up with 3rd degree trip to the hospital bad on his leg when he went over and got pinned.
That one sukd.

Yeah was really nice couple of us grab a bar and pull it around while it was on its side so it was oriented in the right direction, set the brake put er in park and just flip it back up with the winch without making things worse.

Love these little quads!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Latest mod....found this on last weekends adventure ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey guys!

Hope uve been having as much fun as we have been!

Rain turned to dust, snow has all melted except for pockets in the highest of elevations.
Spring has sprung here in north california.
Bucks are growing velvet, rattlesnakes are coming out.

Beautiful exploring/riding weather in the mtns lately!
Got most of my trails cleared (chainsaw comes in mighty handy)
Great time to be alive and have a badass can am to enjoy!

Srry i havent been takin pics and vids lately. Even with my kids grown and moved off to the big cities we still have younger cousins/neices/nephews etc locally that need help and distract me from getting out more than Id like, but watev, family is family.
Sometimes priorities take precedent over what I WANT TO DO.

Bike is still badass and runnin awesomely.
What a BEAST!

Just wanted to run a quick piece of advice for anyone still running these older quads....

During my full service I was always a little corfused as to where that 4th fuse, the main ign fuse was located. Figured i might need that someday but short of pulling the entire front clip and checking around the main module I kind of gave up.

Kept coming across some debate whether it actually existed or not...
It definately wasnt where the service manual showed it should be.As there are only 3 fuses under that front cover ....
Kinda just figured since this bike had been worked on by the po, and this 07 shares some systems with the 08 and some with the 06...maybe they just stuffed it somewhere and I was missing it.

Well it finally happened, in the garage again thankfully, not 21 miles from the closest truck/jeep access.
I was walkin by thinking hey that back running light would look awesome with a clear lens and a custom bulb,
Hey!
I have a whole bunch of leftover custom bulbs in a drawer on the workbench.
I`ve done all kinds of leds etc on my truck....dug up a couple of 1157s and the 1st one I pulled the lense and put in and -POP- reverse polarity??

anyways,
There went all power to the entire quad.
i knew better.
My direct wired accesories still worked, lightbars etc.
Nothing to the ignition. no power from there on to anyting ....
dam dam dammit!!!!!!!!!!!
Batterys good.

I still went ahead and checked all the fuses and eliminated them one by one, no power to the ignition whatsoever, no gauge cluster, no lights etc etc.

tested and checked all connections and grounds and did tons of research but it all came back to a popped main/ign fuse....but where?????

Pulled the entire electrical wiring harness and followed each system one by one.
Checked sensors. ect ect
Finally figured it HAD to be a fried main ignition switch itself, maybe i fried some modulee somewhere,,, and gave up.
Pulled every fuse, checked every system again and again and it all checked out.....????
Strarted to pull the full the entire front clip to access the only part i couldnt get to in front of the steering ,some main module that kept coming up, under the access tray where the other three fuses were, thinking it might be tucked under there and they just didnt put it back where it belonged.

Decided to give it one more good onceover before I start throwing parts at it and( granted this has been going on for days now) I happened to notice as I was giving up,,,,, the flash/shop light accidentally lit up one last fuse holder I had easily overlooked.

Buried back behind the main wiring harness I had removed and checked 3 times already as I was looking away and basically giving up..the one wire I had missed led to a fuse holder.

Bam! there it is!

Tucked up next to the battery, and mounted to the left (drivers side) up on the frame, behind all the wiring i had removed.....the elusive 4th fuse!

It was popped, and a fresh fuse fired power back through the ign and back to the entire bike.

Fired it up to make sure and sure as shit. that lil bastard was hid good!!!!

Just thought id share this because I came across many threads where the quad suddenly went dead completely and no one could figure out why???????

Heres where the manual shows it should be, i had only three fuses in this location

and here is where it is actually located on my 07 400 ho xt...
up on the frame, left of the battery, mouunted to the frame, behind all the factory wiring

Hope this helps someody someday

Ride safe
Never give up
Just keep troubleshooting when theres an issue
You can find it
Even if it is a pain in the ass and takes days to find.grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some seat time on the 1' rear spacers today.
What a difference!!!!!!

Still runnin awesomely

LOVE N IT!!!!
Baddest ass quad in the woods
Get compliments on it everytime out

May even have made some can am converts 😉😎👍

·
Registered
902 Posts
Got some seat time on the 1' rear spacers today.
What a difference!!!!!!

Still runnin awesomely

LOVE N IT!!!!
Baddest ass quad in the woods
Get compliments on it everytime out

May even have made some can am converts 😉😎👍
1 foot rear spacers??? WOW!

I thought my 2.5" spacers were serious, I can't imagine 1' worth

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
5 Participants
Jungleman
Can-Am ATV Forum
Can-Am Forum features the most comprehensive collection of Can-Am ATV information! Renegade, Outlander & MX, DS450 and more!
Full Forum Listing