Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Does 450 overheat like the V-Twins?

1132 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dramey
I’m curious if the 450’s are known to overheat as much as the V-Twins with the radiator in the stock location? No mud, maybe a little dust sometimes. I am not interested in relocating a radiator, I’m looking for a hunting machine.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
They don't have near the issues. Ive seen the radiators on the 450s pretty well plugged and still not overheat.

But I prefer the v twins so much more. Just smoother and more power. Add a screen right behind the front grille and just clean it when you service the machine and blow out the radiator. I dont remember the last time I've seen one overheat since I added a screen to the 570s we use.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 Outlander Max XT T
37 Posts
I've also read lots of reports of overheating on this forum, it seems to be commonplace, but my (anecdotal) experience has been flawless so far.
I have a 2022 Outlander 570 XT, with the detuned 650 v-twin, radiator in its original location, and I've never had it overheat, even in the spanish summer. I do trail riding, with the occasional mud hole, and just hose the radiator clean at the end of the day. The radiator fan does com on often, and it gets warm near the right foot, but just like other ATVs I've had, and it's never gone into limp mode.
Just my 2 cents, people with issues are naturally going to post more, so it will seem like everyone has these issues.
In my opinion, overheating as described by other users of this forum must be a mechanical problem somewhere. Maybe a faulty sensor which makes the fan not come on, or something to that effect. This looks like a common problem, which is not OK, but it's absolutely not "how the machine is supposed to work"

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Yeah the cooling systems on these machines work really well, when all things are as intended.

It almost sounds like you're unintenionally confusing the random lean fuel maps and high exhaust temperatures, with actual cooling system deficiencies leading to overheating. The two are separate and (somewhat) unrelated.

AFAIK, none of the single-pops have the reputation of running lean/hot, and to be fair, only the mid-teens v-twins seem to. ~2014 thru say 2016 maybe 17 model years, could randomly present with hot exhaust temps as a result of a too-lean fuel map.

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
Steel window screen is best. We used some nylon stuff and the grass hoppers would eat it....

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: xsever and scottmc

· Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,448 Posts
I’m curious if the 450’s are known to overheat
After close to 2 years of riding my 450 has never 'overheated'. It will idle a long time and the fan will go on and off but I never got any warnings of the engine overheating. When the engine is working hard in the heat of summer the fan will go on and off but temps never got out of control.

The whole exhaust pipe and muffler are wrapped to prevent overheating the cockpit but that's a seperate issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts