Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, when it comes to radiators I have 0 experience with them. Mine is dumping its fluids onto my floor, ive searched for cracks or anything cant find a source. Gonna sound like a noob but how do I fill the radiator? From the cap? I just want to see if I can keep looking for the source. Its leaving 3ft long puddles every half hour. My anti-freeze is purple and my radiator fluid is green, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Like I said Im not the one to come to when it comes to radiators. :0headscratch:

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Radiator fluid is antifreeze. What year/model atv? You should be using the green stuff (prestone 50/50, ect) unless you flushed the system. Yes you fill through the cap, should be under the hood. I know the new G2s at least use a overflow bottle to fill, not a filler directly on the radiator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an 07 400. I'm using heavy duty antifreeze thats all that I had, being that I live far away from any dealership or parts store. I hadnt flushed the system but Im thinking my water pump seal is gone because the weeping hole fluid is coming out(not a lot, maybe a fingertip full once a week). Maybe one of the rad hoses is clogged somewhere? because all I see is green fluid no purple.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
looks by your second picture that the leak is in the rad itself as the bottom is all wet. Unless you washed the rad before you took that picture.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dry everything off and look close. It may have to be running to build up enough pressure to leak. Your water pump seal is bad. Pretty easy to put in with proper instruction. We can help you with that. Also replace oil seal behind water pump seal while your at it. Replace thermostat also. They can do very funny things, especially if its gotten hot. I had a problem with coolant leaking but no sign of it anywhere, just always low. Replaced last thing, the thermostat..problem solved. Look for swelling in the cooling fins on the radiator, may also have a bad cap. Probably your weep hole though, they will leave a puddle sometimes. Hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres fluid on the hoses and rad so not quite clear. Havent had time to remove the plastics and front bumper. The bike has 8000km on it so water pump bearing is in need I would say. I'll give an update soon, im assuming the rad has a small crack because the outty does get very hot at times before this started happening, and with the on and off cool/hot weather we've been having its likely thats the case.

·
Registered
517 Posts
mine discharged coolant when i had an airlock in the system after relocating it. a good indication of this would be your fan starting and hardly ever being off then leading to a temp light showing up eventually.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe thats what happened to mine, I go through a lot of bushes and sticks always are pushed up against my plastics, couldve tore a hose? My fan does come on frequently but never a temp light. This was also before the leaking problem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Could have had a stick joust your radiator as well, seen it happen many times. Even seen a kicked up rock puncture a radiator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i'll have to do a mini tear down and have a look when I get time. If it happens to be the rad, any suggestions toward an aftermarket one? little more durable, this one lasted 8k (if it is the problem) so no shame for it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
no suggestions for a rad replacement but maybe consider relocating it if there are concerns of sticks poking into it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It's not the miles, it's the hours.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rad shouldn't crack with that low of km on it. Not unless its been rolled or hurt somehow. I would tend to think its either a punctured hose or rad. Clean it up good and get it as open as possible. Should be able to tell where it's coming from. If the water pump seal isn't leaking and you don't have that part appart I wouldn't bother changing it. It's somewhat easy to screw it up and have to do it a second time. You can't hit period on the spring part of the rotary seal. It can and will crack the ceramic backing ring inside the seal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The above post is assuming the rotary seal isn't leaking. Sounds and looks like the rad though and not the seal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I saw some radiators on ebay that has 30% more volume and cooling. I know nothing about them and wonder if they really fit and if anyone has tried them. All welded construction also. Looked awesome

·
Registered
159 Posts
You said the weep hole was leaking a little as you saw some coming out. The new service bulletin says, and what I did the second time lol, is to tap the outside in with a socket the same diameter (or if you have a special tool for it) then at the same time use a 8mm nut and washer and draw the center in by tightening the nut snug when the outside of the seal is all the way in. This worked great for me and no leaks now. It takes all the play out of the shaft and makes a tight seal so the impeller is flush with the shaft. No tapping on the center at all. Hope this helps some day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, my radiator is shot. I got one I could buy but its for a 2007 500 outlander and mine is a 2007 400. Any difference in the two does anyone know? Would I run into troubles or anything?

·
Registered
785 Posts
The BRP Parts Catalog shows that the 2007 Outlander 400 has a port for a temperature sensor. The 2007 Outlander 500 does not have this port a/p drawing & description. But you can have one added at a rad shop if you don't have the means to DIY. If the price is right just make it work, not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts