Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a bunch of can am atvs 650 Outlander xt I had some problems with them. I went to Sxs and never went back to atvs. I have owned tons of different utvs. Last year I bought a defender hd10 cab. I was excited about the purchase at first. I'm an outfitter guide in Utah. So I use it lots. I don't race it or go fast I just simply use it. In one year I have had nothing but issues. I have put a new clutch in it had the motor rebuild all new wiring harnesses plus tons of other problems. Them are just some of the bigger problems. The motor is acting the same way it did before I took it in, when they rebuilt the motor. Ive put 300 miles on the rebuilt motor. I paid roughly 25k for it. Ive put 6k into it in one year, and was without the machine 3 months in 1 year. Now the motor is going to have to be rebuilt again. I have to say worst purchase I've ever made. I put my trust in can am purchased their product and it's been a nightmare. I have talked to can am they will do nothing! I blame it on air intake and clutch intake. Just look at the placement of both of these. I hope I don't get banned for writing the truth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't get it in water. Last year in Utah was the driest year I have ever seen. There wasn't any water. Look at where they put air intake clutch intake. Dumbest location I've seen

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
386 Posts
You've posted this on several threads. There are 1,000's of Defenders in the field. If this was truly an air intake flaw, then there would be 1,000's of engine failures being reported. Google search doesn't reveal this. Something else is obviously wrong with your machine. Do lemon laws apply to UTVs??? Something to look into.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
He said his buddies had same problems with theirs.....I just traded a defender with 12000 miles and motor was fine. Replaced a sway bar mount and a shock under warranty thats it.

To the OP: You said you had to have the wiring harness replaced if I remember correctly? Why did it need replaced?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
how many more times are you going to post this same story?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have had a bunch of can am atvs 650 Outlander xt I had some problems with them. I went to Sxs and never went back to atvs. I have owned tons of different utvs. Last year I bought a defender hd10 cab. I was excited about the purchase at first. I'm an outfitter guide in Utah. So I use it lots. I don't race it or go fast I just simply use it. In one year I have had nothing but issues. I have put a new clutch in it had the motor rebuild all new wiring harnesses plus tons of other problems. Them are just some of the bigger problems. The motor is acting the same way it did before I took it in, when they rebuilt the motor. Ive put 300 miles on the rebuilt motor. I paid roughly 25k for it. Ive put 6k into it in one year, and was without the machine 3 months in 1 year. Now the motor is going to have to be rebuilt again. I have to say worst purchase I've ever made. I put my trust in can am purchased their product and it's been a nightmare. I have talked to can am they will do nothing! I blame it on air intake and clutch intake. Just look at the placement of both of these. I hope I don't get banned for writing the truth.
Yep he's trolling again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I know of 6 people having similar problems. I think it will be more common in the next few years when a lot of defenders get some miles on them.

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
386 Posts
I ride in Arizona. It’s about as dry and dusty anywhere a person can ride. Knock on wood, my machine is doing fine. I clean and inspect my filters before each ride.

So in your expert opinion, where should both air intake/clutch intake be located? Not bagging on you, but just trying to figure out what’s going on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP, if you plan on keeping your defender I would definitely look into relocating your air intake location. Route it to the inside of the cab, routed to the front of the machine, routed to the top of the machine, anywhere other than the big dust pool area in the engine bay.

Whether the OP is a troll or just a frustrated owner he has a Legitimate complaint.

Yes, it would be in BRP best interest to relocate their air intake system for the engine and CVT on these defenders. Everything behind the cab acts as a vacuum for dust. Even the XMR snorkel location is still in the dust pool.

The very first thing I did on my machine when I brought it home was re-designed the location of the air intake for both the engine and CVT. After the first test drive down the dirt road the amount of dust in the engine bay, the back window, and the box was overwhelming. So there was no way I was going to leave the OEM air intake system where it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got rid of it after putting all the money into it, and still having issues I lost my trust in it. They would only give me 8k for trade in on it. 1/3 of what I paid for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think air and cvt intake needs to be in the front of the machine. So it gets clean fresh air not hot air off the motor and dust from rear tire. The only reason I went to a ranger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He said his buddies had same problems with theirs.....I just traded a defender with 12000 miles and motor was fine. Replaced a sway bar mount and a shock under warranty thats it.

To the OP: You said you had to have the wiring harness replaced if I remember correctly? Why did it need replaced?
I guess they wiggle loose and get filled with dirt. The machine would change every time you turned the key. It mainly stayed in limp mode

I guess they wiggle loose and get filled with dirt. The machine would change every time you turned the key. It mainly stayed in limp mode
I guess t

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think air and cvt intake needs to be in the front of the machine. So it gets clean fresh air not hot air off the motor and dust from rear tire. The only reason I went to a ranger.
You make a good point. I forgot that Polaris added duct work that runs to the front of the machine for the air intake and CVT intake on the newest Rangers. It would be nice if CanAm offered something similar now that you bring that up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 hd10 max xt 4000 miles. I have only replaced the visco lock and one front axle. I have pulled 5000lbs with it on the farm and rode it hard on the trails. So maybe it wasn't the machine. Maybe all OE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts