Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
Is there any difference in a 2019 defender lone star than a 2021 model body wise
Yes there is. They did some changes to the frame. They added some protection to the plastic right behind front wheels. I think that ia about it body wise. They added a park brake and did some clutching upgrades.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh i agree i would be upset as well.. however not upset enough to start multiple threads about it, on the same site lol.
Now is it really that hard on you to purposely click on a post that you have already read. If you know what itbis about, you can see the name of the poster, then why click on it? What's bothersome is people complaining about something they knew they already read. LOL

·
Registered
837 Posts
Now is it really that hard on you to purposely click on a post that you have already read. If you know what itbis about, you can see the name of the poster, then why click on it? What's bothersome is people complaining about something they knew they already read. LOL
or quoting a post that you know nothing about from over a year ago....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a question. Why did it cost $6,000 to repair a machine that was less than a year old and still under warranty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a bunch of can am atvs 650 Outlander xt I had some problems with them. I went to Sxs and never went back to atvs. I have owned tons of different utvs. Last year I bought a defender hd10 cab. I was excited about the purchase at first. I'm an outfitter guide in Utah. So I use it lots. I don't race it or go fast I just simply use it. In one year I have had nothing but issues. I have put a new clutch in it had the motor rebuild all new wiring harnesses plus tons of other problems. Them are just some of the bigger problems. The motor is acting the same way it did before I took it in, when they rebuilt the motor. Ive put 300 miles on the rebuilt motor. I paid roughly 25k for it. Ive put 6k into it in one year, and was without the machine 3 months in 1 year. Now the motor is going to have to be rebuilt again. I have to say worst purchase I've ever made. I put my trust in can am purchased their product and it's been a nightmare. I have talked to can am they will do nothing! I blame it on air intake and clutch intake. Just look at the placement of both of these. I hope I don't get banned for writing the truth.
I have had a bunch of can am atvs 650 Outlander xt I had some problems with them. I went to Sxs and never went back to atvs. I have owned tons of different utvs. Last year I bought a defender hd10 cab. I was excited about the purchase at first. I'm an outfitter guide in Utah. So I use it lots. I don't race it or go fast I just simply use it. In one year I have had nothing but issues. I have put a new clutch in it had the motor rebuild all new wiring harnesses plus tons of other problems. Them are just some of the bigger problems. The motor is acting the same way it did before I took it in, when they rebuilt the motor. Ive put 300 miles on the rebuilt motor. I paid roughly 25k for it. Ive put 6k into it in one year, and was without the machine 3 months in 1 year. Now the motor is going to have to be rebuilt again. I have to say worst purchase I've ever made. I put my trust in can am purchased their product and it's been a nightmare. I have talked to can am they will do nothing! I blame it on air intake and clutch intake. Just look at the placement of both of these. I hope I don't get banned for writing the truth.
We are having the same issue with our 2020. We think it is the air intake too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had roughly the same experience with my 2020 defender xmr max
Was bought last year April 22nd from dealer brand new they put a roof ,3" lift , 32" silver backs and warranty came to $34 000 cad
First night out blew a front axle backing up a mogul with the wheel cranked
As dealer installed the lift for free to fit my tires they covered the axle
Also when I changed the axle ,looked the bike over and seen a box mount for the swivel was cracked and was missing a nut on the rear shock so they also covered that as was there mistake ..
3 successful rides no problem
Next ride head light broke and fell out
Exhaust can ovaled exhaust pipe cracked
Box mounts both broke off
Front upper control arm bushings were worn out
And had noticed that I never had a rear sway bar
Dealer replaced all brand new full exhaust headlights etc and I had to fight with them over the sway bar they explained that the can am engineers said it performed better in the mud without it yet the 3 seater still came with one and every spec sheet and dealer build spec all came with one so eventually they covered new sway bars and links and all ....
They had it for 2 or 3 weeks waiting on parts
Finally came back fixed had 3 weeks of no problems other then the rear a arm bushings started to go
Then this happened ....
Was out for 5 min sat July 18th
Heard a woomf behind me turn my head and there's flames coming out all around the box from the motor I jumped out shit it off and started pouring water and gravel whatever I could find after 40 mins of that I had got everything out except the top of the gas tank had a small flame melting the intake above it and I had nothing left to keep putting it out I ran back to my house and got buckets of water and my truck but by the time I got back was engulfed in flames entirely ....
Owned it for pretty much 2 months when I actually had it in my possession not being at the dealer getting fixed and I didn't have it insured that yes is my fault , yet who thinks a 3 month old machine your going to have such major problems dealer and brp dont care
All I can say is if your going to buy one of these machines after all the threads I've read of them and other models catching on fire is insure it right away and spend the little bit of money and load it with fire extinguishers
It might just save you I'm just lucky I was alone and my wife daughter dogs weren't with me ...

I'm not dissing can ams I have a 2018 Outlander xmr that I've never had a problem with but this scared the [email protected] out of me

·
Registered
837 Posts
to me that sounds like a moron dealer. A lot of your machines issues seem to be caused by whoever worked on your ride prior to you getting it

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah unfortunately they are they best dealer around my area I have ordered a new one 3 seater xmr but after but after reading some of the threads on these forums I'm second guessing it now seems like my chances of getting anouther lemon are pretty high

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of something like this and it really sounds like a lemon or the dealer who did the setup on it. The only other issue I have heard of is a couple of guys who dusted their motors. I have two different defenders with over 12000 miles and very few issues.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
First time i have heard of those issues with a machine. Like said above it usually comes down to who worked on it last... Also i see a bunch of tall and probably dry grass in the background possibility it got some packed in around the exhaust and ignited...

Thought i was looking at a pic of a polaris..LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you need a new mechanic also ...fully rebuilt motor and doing the same thing 🧐

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar issue with my 2019 Defender HD10 Max - blown engine from "dirt intrusion'. I ride int he mountains of Arizona so dust is usually heavy. The AGWS extended warranty denied the repair claim for such causes. The design of both engine and clutch intake are poor without debate. The dust here is also rock dust and full of silica and very sharp and hard particles. I work a hard rock mine and dust does damage to most of our equipment that has metal-on-metal moving parts including bearings. Lesson learned for me. I too am out large money and a work machine that is vital is down so if you live in a rock dust not mud-dust like where I am from - Tennessee, then definitely consider preemptively spending some time and money as 'insurance' to remedy this design flaw. Polaris does this because they know. But the Can AM defender is a work horse and does need this upgrade - like an old cummins 5.9 - mostly great but a few flaws to easily address. A snorkel with a primary small-micron air filter element is a must. Keep the OEM as well. The trade-off is more restricted air flow but at least the engine will run a good while longer worry-free.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,113 Posts
Similar issue with my 2019 Defender HD10 Max - blown engine from "dirt intrusion'. I ride int he mountains of Arizona so dust is usually heavy. The AGWS extended warranty denied the repair claim for such causes. The design of both engine and clutch intake are poor without debate. The dust here is also rock dust and full of silica and very sharp and hard particles. I work a hard rock mine and dust does damage to most of our equipment that has metal-on-metal moving parts including bearings. Lesson learned for me. I too am out large money and a work machine that is vital is down so if you live in a rock dust not mud-dust like where I am from - Tennessee, then definitely consider preemptively spending some time and money as 'insurance' to remedy this design flaw. Polaris does this because they know. But the Can AM defender is a work horse and does need this upgrade - like an old cummins 5.9 - mostly great but a few flaws to easily address. A snorkel with a primary small-micron air filter element is a must. Keep the OEM as well. The trade-off is more restricted air flow but at least the engine will run a good while longer worry-free.
Read this: Pre-Filter

21 - 35 of 35 Posts