Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm venting here but can use some advice... I had to replace my rear differential this year because I overloaded the hitch reciever. $800 down the drain- but totally my fault for putting the aftermarket reciever on.

Last weekend I finally say to hell with the rain, and haul my quad back to VT for the season. 8 miles into torrential downpour and deep mud everywhere, check engine light comes on and no power steering. WTF!!! I was riding basic but pretty muddy trails- nothing even remotely hard and wasn't deep on the thumb. Had to go into low for say 25 yards in some real deep mud, but that's it. Back home she comes....

All fluids are fine, battery is fully charged, I can't find a damn thing wrong but let me tell you- power steering is a must with the 800 outy max. I damn near broke my arm trying to turn it without DPS.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? I spend more time in the damn shop than on the trails. I'm getting annoyed and broke and haven't put more than 10 miles on her this year yet.

:th_smiliepullhair:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I feel your pain brother,my powersteering is doing the same but mine is [email protected]. My dealer said its a know problem and that they would take care of it.I would check with dealer maybe he would help you out.Maybe a recall issue.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had the same problem a couple months ago. Blasted through a water hole, handlebars went stiff, and check engine came on. Turned off bike for a few min. and then it was fine. Took to the dealer and it was a rubber gromet that protects the main electrical connection that goes into DPS unit, it came loose and got water in the connection.

Reactions: lanlord

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had my DPS replaced...It was 2 months back ordered and I just got it replaced last week, the BRP tech blew the main fuse putting it in and I had to wait till the new fuse came in. WTF. Anywho it's a common problem and a PITA. Good luck cuz I feel your pain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE- Dealer said it threw a fault. They cleared the code and it hasn't come back. I asked, "What threw the fault?" and the answer was "Probably just a bug in the system." I asked about the DPS recall and my unit wasn't affected. I asked about water getting into the rubber grommet and was told it looked fine.

So I'm not very comfortable taking a $12,000 'buggy' machine far away from civilization. I typically ride private land 500 acres into the middle of nowhere. If it's software fine- fix it!

I'm annoyed and aggrevated. This isn't why I specifically bought a Can Am. At least this time it didn't cost me anything more than a lost weekend and a couple tanks of gas to tow the thing back home.

GRRR...

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Also, if u havent done it yet, die-electric grease all electrical connections.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had mine reset as the stealership said that should fix the probem. Nope next ride the exact same thing happend. So two days off work, 2000KM and two return trips to the city, 2.5 months of waiting my DPS is changed out. Like I said it's a PITA and very costly to the consumer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts