Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all..
I have 1100km of trouble free riding in everything from mud to technical slow crawling to high speed logging roads on my 2013 outlander max. Most of this riding 2up.
I installed full center frame and footwell skids yesterday. https://www.dropbox.com/s/od548c92j5uvazp/20140510_165437.jpg
Today I went for a ride up a muddy trail to a small mountain lookout. Air temp around 18°C and travelling between 5 and 17 km/h riding single, DPS Med. About 30 minutes In, the DPS light/warning came on and steering got heavy as hell.
I stopped, let the fan finish running then shut bike off. Restarted about three min later and all was working again.
This is my first DPS overheat, ever.
Is it a coincidence that the skids went on yesterday or did they contribute to it?
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Highly unlikely skids have anything to do with it. Ground issue maybe?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't think it's caused by your skid plates. I've recently noticed the same issue. Happened to me twice in the last month. But no message or alarm, just noticed my steering getting hard to turn when riding in tight trails. I would stop, shut machine off and restart. Everything would be normal again.

So I figured had to be some type of overheating protection like a auto resetting fuse or something of that nature. So I looked a little further into the maintenance manual and this is what it said.

"The problem is caused by the activation of the integrated protection system. This situation is probably due to sever riding conditions, the activation of the integrated protection system is normal".

So I guess we need to live with it or figure out how to get some better cooling on the DPS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure how close your skid fits but I have a Richocet full skid on my 2012 1000XT and haven't had any overheating problems with the DPS.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
2010 with full skids. 5400 miles and not a single overheat. I've only had a dps message 3 times and all 3 times battery cables were loose. Run mine on max always.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts