Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the Can-Am market, had two Honda ATV’s and thinking about getting into a Defender HD8 XT.
Can anyone explain what the differences are between the DPS and XT? Seems to be around a $2k price difference.
Is the XT worth it?
Any insights regarding the HD8 would be really helpful too. I’ll be using it primarily for hunting and exploring trails. Most of my riding is between 5-25mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I remover correctly, and was told correctly lol
I’m new also lol
But DPS is power steering and XT is wheels, winch and something else.
EDIT: something else is the roof
2nd EDIT: also the XT comes with another bumper

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the DPS, added a windshield, winch, gun boots, rear view mirror, 3 mode switch, it's ready for the second year of hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the DPS, added a windshield, winch, gun boots, rear view mirror, 3 mode switch, it's ready for the second year of hunting.
HD8 have plenty of power? Where I hunt has lots of elevation change. Don’t really care about going 60mph down the road, but don’t want to feel like I’m lacking in powering going up hills either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use it in the Sierra Nevada's on trail and Forest Service Roads 2-3 riders gear and usually something dead in the back. It has gotten me everywhere I wanted to go and back.

·
Registered
429 Posts
No they do not come with arched arms. Only the lone star edition and xmrs have arched arms

·
Registered
131 Posts
How did you add the 3 mode switch? Is that accessory or parts bought off an XT?
The unit was wired for it and all you need is to purchase the 3 way switch, locate the harness and plug it in. Took all of 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is that for DPS models too or only XT??
It was incorporated as a standard option activated thru the instrument cluster on all 2020 defenders...I don't don't have first hand knowledge, repeating what others have posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently picked up my 2020 HD8 XT. It included in the base price: Power Steering, Visco-Lok QE Front dif., 14" Cast Aluminum Wheels, Versa Pro Bench Seat with Reinforced XT Seat Skin, Adjustable Drivers Seat, HMWPE Full Skid Plate, 4500# Winch, XT Front Bumper, Full Hard Roof, and Brake Holding Mechanism (Parking brake). I had considered the HD8 DPS also but decided that for me the XT was better since I liked all the extras. All I added was a rear view mirror and the dealer threw that in. I love it so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
XT= comes with roof, winch, front bumper, upgraded seats, full under body protection, upgraded gauge cluster with storage bin, painted plastics in front and rear, adjustable driver's seat, 3 mode switch (which can be added easily to older models). There might be more that I'm forgetting, but this is the bulk of what the XT has over the DPS model. I've upgraded my DPS to have a lot of the same things as the XT. I've found deals on everything I upgraded, but I'd say it is worth it to go to the XT version for the upgrades and save yourself the hassle of adding later.

I've used my HD8 Max for hunting in 4 ft of snow and it did great. Even used it to tow a broken 4x4 Ford Explorer. The HD8 is fine for the speeds you are talking about. The only thing I would recommend the HD10 for is if you were going to run tracks. I'd love to have the HD10, but the HD8 has done everything I've asked of it with no problems.

Reactions: Lee F.

·
Registered
10 Posts
XT= comes with roof, winch, front bumper, upgraded seats, full under body protection, upgraded gauge cluster with storage bin, painted plastics in front and rear, adjustable driver's seat, 3 mode switch (which can be added easily to older models). There might be more that I'm forgetting, but this is the bulk of what the XT has over the DPS model. I've upgraded my DPS to have a lot of the same things as the XT. I've found deals on everything I upgraded, but I'd say it is worth it to go to the XT version for the upgrades and save yourself the hassle of adding later.

I'm used my HD8 Max for hunting in 4 ft of snow and it did great. Even used it to tow a broken 4x4 Ford Explorer. The HD8 is fine for the speeds you are talking about. The only thing I would recommend the HD10 for is if you were going to run tracks. I'd love to have the HD10, but the HD8 has done everything I've asked of it with no problems.
What is the three mode switch? If it's for the Eco, Standard, Work mode, that is in my gauge menu, not a manual switch. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What is the three mode switch? If it's for the Eco, Standard, Work mode, that is in my gauge menu, not a manual switch. Very easy to use.
The three mode switch is the Eco, Standard, and Work modes. Pre 2020 models the DPS or base models did not come with the rocker switch on the dash, however, the vehicles were still wired for it. So it was just a matter of purchasing the $30 rocker switch and plugging it in. From what I understand the 2020 models have that functionality bult into the gauge cluster now.

Reactions: xsever

·
Registered
10 Posts
The three mode switch is the Eco, Standard, and Work modes. Pre 2020 models the DPS or base models did not come with the rocker switch on the dash, however, the vehicles were still wired for it. So it was just a matter of purchasing the $30 rocker switch and plugging it in. From what I understand the 2020 models have that functionality bult into the gauge cluster now.
I guess so. That's what I have. Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts