Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ther posted ages ago saying I'd lost my spark on my 250 found a spark now by replacing the Cdi but ,,,still won't start I've tryed fuel down the head ,towing at 40mph no air box new oil ect any ideas not even getting a pop.?....

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here. I am trying to figure out these CDI units. I purchased the bike 2 months ago and the battery was dead. The guy claimed he burned the CDI out by charging it. So I put a new battery in it and it started right up. Ya. But after a couple of rides around the yard no spark. Pulled the CDI off and sure enough it had a burn spot.
So searching for a new one I ran across the Chinese ones. They are identical except for the single pigtail wire that the Can am has. My neighbor seems to think they will work but I am afraid to try it in fear that I may do harm to something else because of incorrect voltage or signal .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cdi

See mine don't have any evidence of burnt but no spark! I wish they could test them. See I think the Chinese ones would work to but I'm afraid of burning up the wire harness!! Is this the only ATV that you can't run a aftermarket cdi box on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
CDI Saga goes on.

Ok I ordered a voltage regulator just in case that was blown too. What a coincidence that you search in E Bay for that unit it the same unit works on the can am and Kymco. Strange.
I talked with someone who used to race bikes and he said go ahead and try the Chinese. He said no harm would come to the motor. It may not start, it may not run good or it may work perfect. I would just be out the 10 bucks.
I did figure what that pigtail wire was for on the OEM CDI. It is the override for the reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try

Please let me know if you try those aftermarket cdi's. There's a site on the web that sells 4-6 different types of 6 post cdi's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well it is running but not due the the Chinese CDI. I received the Chinese unit and installed it then the time came to start it. Well it started but it really did not sound right. When cranking it sounded like the timing was off some. But it did start. I just gave it a light throttle and it still did not sound right. It ran but I was afraid to go any farther with it. So I submitted to the OEM factory unit at a $179 price tag and it is up and running.
All I can say is be careful when having to jump start these things. We bought the machine like this and the seller told me he blew the CDI due to jumping it.

Go figure!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can jump you ATV/motorcycle from any vehicle that uses 12 volts (even a semi) but make sure that whatever you jump from it is NOT running!

Alternator voltage spikes are what kill electronics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it is running but not due the the Chinese CDI. I received the Chinese unit and installed it then the time came to start it. Well it started but it really did not sound right. When cranking it sounded like the timing was off some. But it did start. I just gave it a light throttle and it still did not sound right. It ran but I was afraid to go any farther with it. So I submitted to the OEM factory unit at a $179 price tag and it is up and running.
All I can say is be careful when having to jump start these things. We bought the machine like this and the seller told me he blew the CDI due to jumping it.

Go figure!
That sucks!! Can-Am sucks!! Lol the most expensive cdi out there! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I solved my spark missing problem when cut the wire between Shift gear control unit & Pulse generator. Obviously the problem was in Shift gear control unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts