Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

A friend of mine bought a 2010 DS70 for his 8 year old son. While roaming the desert this weekend something happened and his son drove right into a wash that had about 4 feet of water. After he pulled it out and drained the water he tried to start it, and it started but died soon after.

He brought it over to my house last night and we drained and replaced all the fluids (gas, engine oil, gearbox oil). Cleaned and drained most everything we could (air filter, oil strainer, air injection valve, all the stock drains). Replaced the spark plug with a new one gapped at .028 and replaced the fuel filter.

After putting everything back together we tried to start it and it cranks but doesn't start. We double checked the carb end of the fuel filter and it is delivering fuel but after trying to start it a few time we pulled the plug and it wasn't even wet. We then put a little fuel directly in the combustion camber and it fired right up and then died after about 10 seconds.

I'm no mechanic, but that tells me we have spark but no fuel. We didn't take apart the carburetor but i think that may be our problem.

Do you think it's the carb?
Is the OEM carb easy to rebuild or should we just grab a new one?
I believe the OEM carb on the 2010 DS70 is a Keihin but the part number on Can-Am's website didn't yield any google results so I haven't been able to find any docs on how to rebuild it or find a rebuild kit.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've sunk a few vehicles in my time amongst them are a snowmachine in June, a truck, and a jetski (I know right). In your case I'd probably pull the carb, take the bowl off and then dowse the whole inside liberally with seafoam. This will help water residue mix with the gas. Pour a bunch of seafoam in the gas tank too. Then before you hook up the carb, crank the wheeler over a few times and see if gas comes out of the fuel supply line to the carb. Did you clean out all the fuel lines going to the main/res/off fuel selector? Anyways, my :smilietwocents:. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've sunk a few vehicles in my time amongst them are a snowmachine in June, a truck, and a jetski (I know right). In your case I'd probably pull the carb, take the bowl off and then dowse the whole inside liberally with seafoam. This will help water residue mix with the gas. Pour a bunch of seafoam in the gas tank too. Then before you hook up the carb, crank the wheeler over a few times and see if gas comes out of the fuel supply line to the carb. Did you clean out all the fuel lines going to the main/res/off fuel selector? Anyways, my :smilietwocents:. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply! We didn't clean the lines going to the main/res/off selector but, once we put new gas in, tested the flow through the line to the carb and it looks good. But it wouldn't hurt anything to pull all the lines and make sure they are clean.

I was looking around for a carb rebuild kit but couldn't find one. My assumption is that they have rubber o-rings inside cause it's technically a sea-doo carb?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh ya, and sometimes you have to re-prime the fuel lines that are now full of air instead of fuel. I usually take an air hose and put it in the gas tank using a rag to make somewhat of a seal. Then, without popping your tank with too much pressure, you crank it over and the fuel will be forced through the lines, into the fuel pump and so on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ya, and sometimes you have to re-prime the fuel lines that are now full of air instead of fuel. I usually take an air hose and put it in the gas tank using a rag to make somewhat of a seal. Then, without popping your tank with too much pressure, you crank it over and the fuel will be forced through the lines, into the fuel pump and so on...
Good idea, i can do too.

I really just want to see what's inside the carb, i'm sure the jet is clogged up with dirt.

Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting a rebuild kit for a 2010 carb (They still make those with a carb?). There's nothing in that carb that can be hurt by a little temporary exposure to dirt and water, it just needs to be hosed out, that's all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts