Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 2017 DS90X. I was able to work the price down because the rear axle had some movement, indicating to me it required new bearings. While taking it apart, I was surprised at how easy the axle slid out. The axle is not old and worn, its a light to medium used 2017? Slid new bearings on and they are not a snug fit throughout the entire center of the axle, not just where they will sit? I can wiggle the new bearings on the axle, I thought there should be no movement, nice and snug?

Axle measured 1.175", the old and new bearings inner ring measure 1.176-1.180.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,208 Posts
I don't know those bikes, but I think you're right to want the bearing to be "gud-n-tite" against the axle..... guess I'm curious as to how "lightly used" was the replacement axle? Can you get a spec on the OD of a new axle where that bearing rides?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know those bikes, but I think you're right to want the bearing to be "gud-n-tite" against the axle..... guess I'm curious as to how "lightly used" was the replacement axle? Can you get a spec on the OD of a new axle where that bearing rides?
My bad, the ATV is a used 2017, not just the axle. I assume the axle is an OEM and has never been replaced.
Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
honestly i dont think iv seen a press fit bearing on a ATV.. Always been easily removable by hand for the axle assuming to assist in trail repairs etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, bearings are not press fitted on the axle but, I didn't expect them to wiggle on the axle?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, bearings are not press fitted on the axle but, I didn't expect them to wiggle on the axle?
Thanks
Are the bearings you bought OE ?
Aftermarket brands are known to be sloppy ( for my bike at least ).
I learned my lesson with the last set of front wheel bearings I bought :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the bearings you bought OE ?
Aftermarket brands are known to be sloppy ( for my bike at least ).
I learned my lesson with the last set of front wheel bearings I bought :rolleyes:
Not OEM, I purchased Pivot Works bearings. They are a tighter fit than the OEM bearings I'm replacing on the axle. The axle slop I believe was coming from the old OEM bearings inner diameter not being snug on the axle, once removed and I spun them, there wasn't the typical grabbing you get from bad bearings. I'll call the dealer and buy some OEM's to be sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i agree with Bonzo on this. i don't have a ds90 but can am is known to have a few Oem parts that are a must on the bigger machines as all the after markets are junk, wheel bearings and tie rod ends to name a few. hopefully this solves your problem and I'm interested to see if thats the case.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i agree with Bonzo on this. i don't have a ds90 but can am is known to have a few Oem parts that are a must on the bigger machines as all the after markets are junk, wheel bearings and tie rod ends to name a few. hopefully this solves your problem and I'm interested to see if thats the case.
....and universals .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, new OEM rear axle bearings in hand. Unfortunately, the Inner dia. measures 1.177" as well:(
The dealer checked out the old bearing, the new after market bearing and the new OEM bearing, sliding all 3 to the middle of the axle where there is no wear n tear. The 2 new bearings were equally sloppy, old bearing was more sloppy.
They are going to reach out to BRP to see if there is any issues with the 2017 axles.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just did the rear wheel bearings on my bike Sunday .
My rear half shafts are OE and my front half shafts are from CV man in Jessup .
I did the fronts just this spring .
The 4 bearings I bought ( at once ) fit much tighter around the OE rears than the aftermarket front axles .
I never even thought to put a mic on them :( .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try and measure the slop later and post. Did your bearings have any side to side wobble on the axle?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Local dealer heard back from BRP, they stated its most likely I need a new axle due to wear. I would agree with that if the bearings weren't sloppy in the middle of the untouched portion of the axle:mad:

Anyways, I measured the side to side wobble of the bearing on the untouched portion of the axle, it's .032"
Untouched portion of axle = 1.175"
Worn part of axle, bearing seat = 1.174"
Inner diameter of new OEM bearings = 1.177"

I'm going to try and find a slightly smaller inner diameter bearing locally or wrap the axle with some high speed aluminum tape where the bearings seat on the axle??
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts