Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I got my 2021 XMR 850 and I want to get a new exhaust. I did my research on tuners with the exhaust but now I'm hearing getting my bike dyno. Anyone know the difference? Should I get them both? Or just one? Newbie here with tuners and dynos. And tell me what you did to yours!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The days of carb tuning by "reading plugs" are over and done .
Without O2 sensors & a few "pulls" , preset maps are like throwing darts .
This is , of course , just my opinion .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The days of carb tuning by "reading plugs" are over and done .
Without O2 sensors & a few "pulls" , preset maps are like throwing darts .
This is , of course , just my opinion .
So from the sounds of it Can am just decided to not allow their bikes to be reprogrammed?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Oh , no . You can alter the maps until the cows come home but without anything providing proof of a positive or negative result I just see no point in it .
Others "tune" their bikes upon the assumption they are lean from the bench . Without proof , I'm sceptical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh , no . You can alter the maps until the cows come home but without anything providing proof of a positive or negative result I just see no point in it .
Others "tune" their bikes upon the assumption they are lean from the bench . Without proof , I'm sceptical.
Hmm, okay that's odd. I have a buddy who tuned his own renegade 1000 because the clutch, exhaust +tuner did not provide what he wanted. Might as well stick to mechanical upgrades and go for a clutch at this point. But thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,097 Posts
It's not a real quick/easy process to try and share with you, you'd do yourself better by reading and searching and figuring out what exactly is going on, on a dyno, to make the call whether or not you want/need it.

Sure, you can dyno-tune your bike, if you've got adjustable clutches, an ECU mapper on-staff, etc., there's a lot going on. Is there even an ATV dyno close to you, with a wideband O2 setup? Do you have components on your bike that are adjustable?

There's a big difference in your average blinky box tuner that merely intercepts the bikes MAP-T sensor and fools the ECU into shortening or lengthening the injector pulse width, and your actual ECM map overwrite/tuner.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you get a PV3 their are several dealers out their that have some dyno tunes and have the tunes available of the same machine and add on's. I used motorsport addicts for mine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a real quick/easy process to try and share with you, you'd do yourself better by reading and searching and figuring out what exactly is going on, on a dyno, to make the call whether or not you want/need it.

Sure, you can dyno-tune your bike, if you've got adjustable clutches, an ECU mapper on-staff, etc., there's a lot going on. Is there even an ATV dyno close to you, with a wideband O2 setup? Do you have components on your bike that are adjustable?

There's a big difference in your average blinky box tuner that merely intercepts the bikes MAP-T sensor and fools the ECU into shortening or lengthening the injector pulse width, and your actual ECM map overwrite/tuner.
Wow, there is really alot that goes into it. My plan is to get aftermarket parts first and then a tuner. I'm new on any information on dyno and tuning which why I'm asking. Thanks for the help!

I've done some quick searches into who can dyno in my area but all the other components sounds like its a huge process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts