Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help folks....please. Can't get solenoid to activate and create current to the starter. Quick scenario (after re-read not so quck) is I purchased a used 06 Outlander 400 XT that had some issues. After buying it I noticed some mice got into the wiring and chewed a few up under the ignition area, near gas tank. When I first got it the lights didn't work and the soleniod would not engage to activate the starter. I pulled the plastics back and noticed some wiring chewed. I replaced the hot wire into the ignition switch for the lights and that made the lights function properly, minus the tail light. To determine the soleniod was bad I pulled out the wire tester and followed the wire back to where it connects to the solenoid. I then pushed the green starter button and the lights goes on and off with the START button. I thought, well there it is, buy a new solenoid and problem solved. Not the case, new one does the same thing, NOTHING when I push the START button with the key on. I also recall seeing a chewed black wire that I completely removed from the ignition area under the plastics.

Here is my question. When I look at the back of the key ignition I see 4 potential areas for wires to go into, labeled A,B,C,D. Do all four slots need to have a connection going into them? Is there a negative wire that goes to the ignition switch? So far I have 3 reds going into A,C, and D...if you look close you can see these letters. I thought this must be it, so I jammed a wire in there and touched it to the frame without the key tunred on. Minor sparks came off the wire on the frame end and it blew my 20AMP fuse.

Anyone have an answer to my question by chance or have any ideas on where I should go next? Any thoughts are much appreciated! I was hoping to see if someone had the same ignition (06 Outy 400 XT) they could tell me what they see on the back of their ignition switch.

Recap and anything I missed:
Not able to engage soleniod by hitting start button!
Head lights work but tail lights do not (tested bulb and it's fine)
Winch works
High/low beams work
Pull starting the machine works
Crossing over the solenoid with a screw driver starts the machine
Weird hot wire coming off the connection at what appears to be the bottom of the carb., going no where
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Thomas

P.S. - Mice are punks but then again I got such a great deal on the Outy I'm still pumped! It's still new with only 239 miles and 50 hours!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE - MICE ARE DESTRUCTIVE LITTLE BUGGERS! I ended up jumping one side of the soleniod over to the frame and it fired right up. Therefore leading me to believe that the short in that one wire was somewhere under the seat. I pulled the air intake area that goes into the main belt area and found one H3LL of a surprise. The darn mice chewed through 9 wires including all the wires for the voltage regulator! I guess I will be sitting down with some wire strippers, connectors, and some shrink wrap to finish off this little issue.

Still happy with my purchase though as I pretty much stole the Outlander for the price I paid for it!

Happy riding peoples!

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts