Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my elka stage 4s yesterday on my g2 renegade and on the rear left hand side the resivour of the shock will hit the upper pipe on my muzzy slip on. I loosened up the pipe and adjusted it slightly and was able to get it on but if you push on the shock it will hit the pipe. If I flip it around the other way the adjuster knobs hit the plastic. Anyone ever run into this? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Post a picture and I'm sure we can find a suggestion. The shock reservoir might just need to be relocated. Possibly turn the reservoir at a different angle to clear the pipes….

·
Registered
687 Posts
The reservoir is very close to my pipes as well. In the summer time it would get so hot I could run through a water hole and the reservoir would be bone dry in a matter of seconds. This cant be good for the shock and really agitated me that they were installed in such a precarious position, so I removed the pipes and wrapped them. Hopefully it will extend the life of the shock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the only pic I have at the moment. The res is right against the upper pipe. Does anyone know if you can rotate the head of the shock? I see an Allen head bolt on the head but didn't want to mess anything up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Ya, I let that to elka. Send the shock back to them with pictures and get them to rotate the reservoir.
DON'T attempt to open that shock up yourself!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
790 Posts
The stage 4 should be at a 45° angle to fit the bike. Looks like Elka f'd up.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You should be able to turn the shock mount to a desired angle so your adjuster and reservoir are away from heat and making contact. I wouldn't leave the reservoir that close to the heat of the exhaust. I turned mine a bit.
Contact Sebastian at Elka to confirm. Elka should either have something in their manual or known what angles to set them at before shipping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should be able to turn the shock mount to a desired angle so your adjuster and reservoir are away from heat and making contact. I wouldn't leave the reservoir that close to the heat of the exhaust. I turned mine a bit.
Contact Sebastian at Elka to confirm. Elka should either have something in their manual or known what angles to set them at before shipping.
How did you turn them to adjust the angle?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The front shocks should be straight out and the rears should be angled 45 degrees back!

Stupid question but do you have then installed in the wrong place? Fronts on back and backs on front?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just by hand; it was stiff but it turned without super human strength. I had called Sebastien and mentioned the ends did not quite line up with the mounts, he said just turn them a little; and I did.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Just by hand; it was stiff but it turned without super human strength. I had called Sebastien and mentioned the ends did not quite line up with the mounts, he said just turn them a little; and I did.
he was talking about the shaft end. it will turn. but the resevoir will not turn in relation to the top mount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to get the serial numbers off the rear shocks and will call elka back but it appears I was sent the wrong rear shocks. The front shocks are straight out but the rears are not at an angle.

·
Registered
932 Posts
he was talking about the shaft end. it will turn. but the resevoir will not turn in relation to the top mount.
Yeah, it was the bottoms I needed to turn on mine. I have one reservoir facing forward on exhaust side and one rearward and both angled out just a few degrees.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update this In case anyone else runs into this.. Elka had me return the rear shocks and they are replacing the heads of the shocks with the eyelets in the right position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received mine today and the shocks marked front have the reservoir out at 45 degree angle and the rears are 90 degrees straight out?? Did they just mark them wrong, the ones marked rear are adjusted a couple inches down the collar and the ones mark front are pretty much at the top of the collar. Are your front shocks adjusted further down the body of the shock? Are the front and back shocks actually different valving ect..?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like they just marked them wrong. The rear shocks should be at the 45 and adjusted further out than the front

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I received mine today and the shocks marked front have the reservoir out at 45 degree angle and the rears are 90 degrees straight out?? Did they just mark them wrong, the ones marked rear are adjusted a couple inches down the collar and the ones mark front are pretty much at the top of the collar. Are your front shocks adjusted further down the body of the shock? Are the front and back shocks actually different valving ect..?
I would sure hope the valving is different from front to back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts