Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys I'm looking at buying a set of stage 3 Elka shocks for my outlander 1000. The shocks are kinda pricey at $1600 so I'm really wanting to get some feedback from some people that already are running Elkas... What's the biggest difference it makes and how is it gonna make my bike handle differently. Overall is it worth $$$ to upgrade the stock shocks??

·
Registered
106 Posts
They're great!! I got a set for my 650 in the spring. They make a huge difference in cornering and braking as the bike doesn't dive or roll any where near as bad as it does with stock shocks. And when going over the really choppy stuff it's 100% better!! With stick shocks it shakes my arms bad enough that I can feel my watch turning on my wrist. With the elkas I didn't feel that at all.
I ride a lot of rail beds and all the bumps that u hit that you'd want to stand up for or the ones that jar your back are gone with the elkas.
If u can, get a buddy to ride with u when u get the elkas installed and when u find a good section of chop switch bikes and go back over it. The difference is huge

I'll definitely get another set in the future.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's the main thing I'm trying to get rid of I can't stand the bike nose diving when I slow down to take a corner or just cruising and let off the gas

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
ya if ur a med to fast paced trail rider then using aftermarket shocks makes a big difference. you wont notice much difference when riding slow, but once u open up the throttle you'll notice

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ordered mine a couple weeks ago, they got here and are fantastic looking. Can't really say how they ride yet tho, w/ thanksgiving week here we've had a lot of family in town, needed to clean house and whatnot so haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
ya if ur a med to fast paced trail rider then using aftermarket shocks makes a big difference. you wont notice much difference when riding slow, but once u open up the throttle you'll notice
Second that :th_smiliethumbsup: Higher speeds, cornering, braking, and bumpy trails,... Nice. Much better ride after I got aftermarket shocks all around on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Sorry Big Shook Guy ... but I totally disagree with the highlighted statement you made. :th_smiliewavey:

If you've watched any of my vids, you know I'm not a fast rider by any means. And I can attest to the fact that even riding slow, the Elka's are WAY better than the factory shocks.

Once you get them setup the way you want, they just soak up bumps, rocks, hits at rock ledges & logs to going over larger rocks & drop offs so much better than the stock shocks that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending aftermarket shocks for slow technical riding !! :th_smiliethumbsup:

But, that's MO so ..... :th_smiliewoo:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I totally agree with u Gunny. Aftermarket shocks are way better in all conditions. I just found it to be a complete night and day difference when it came to hi-speed riding and only mildly noticed the change at slower speeds. But then again that's what I set mine up for. Maybe I've never ridden slow tho?? LOL!! Anything under 40 is slow to me. LOL!! But yes shocks make a huge difference no matter what speed you ride at.
By riding slow I really meant mudholing.
PS, love your vids. Amazing place to ride!

Reactions: GunnyE9

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I totally agree with u Gunny. Aftermarket shocks are way better in all conditions. I just found it to be a complete night and day difference when it came to hi-speed riding and only mildly noticed the change at slower speeds. But then again that's what I set mine up for. Maybe I've never ridden slow tho?? LOL!! Anything under 40 is slow to me. LOL!! But yes shocks make a huge difference no matter what speed you ride at.
By riding slow I really meant mudholing.
PS, love your vids. Amazing place to ride!

You crack me up Big Shook !! :lachtot::th_smilieroflmao::th_smilielol:

And THANKS for the kind words about the vids too !! :notworthy::notworthy:

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Ya, the place the shocks shine for me is simply being able to dial them in at all different settings, hi speed compression, low speed compression, rebound, etc. I really think the rebound adjustment if the most critical to me because that is what is usally WAYYY off and needs to be fine tuned. I hate when they buck because of too fast rebound, thats rediculous, but most non adjustable shocks do just that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Like Shook say's, the faster the pace, the more you will notice how much better the Elkas are. In fact, they soak up everything. I found that the high speed compression that Elka had set is perfect. I don't have the compression adjusters on mine. If I did, I would like to back off the slow speed compression adjuster for rock crawling. However, it is still better than stock, and you get to use the full amount of wheel travel without the feel of bottoming out the shock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since I only have 3 miles on my '14 1000 LTD, I was curious if the shocks on the LTD version are any better than than on there models. I do have the air compressor for the rear shocks.

I put Walker Evans Racing shocks on my Commander XT and that was a HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Fancy high end shocks definitely make a big difference in the slow stuff, but even more so in the fast stuff. Seems the faster you hit stuff, the smoother it gets. Blazing down a trail doing 40-50mph thats littered in rocks and washout and not getting flung about is quite an amazing feeling and something to get used to lol.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Stage 3's

I had mine on there for over a year now I think. whoops is where they shine for me as others have said. The whoops on the railroad tracks that hammered me to death with stock shocks are much better now. I have 3 herniated disc's and really appreciate the shocks

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If you don't plan on spending a day just tuning the shocks, don't waste the money on them. Its not like a typical bolt on where you just ride and enjoy it. These NEED to be adjusted to your liking. Thats the WHOLE reason you buy them is because of the adjustability!
I hate seeing high end shocks never touched and people complaining about them..

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
If you don't plan on spending a day just tuning the shocks, don't waste the money on them. Its not like a typical bolt on where you just ride and enjoy it. These NEED to be adjusted to your liking. Thats the WHOLE reason you buy them is because of the adjustability!
I hate seeing high end shocks never touched and people complaining about them..

Only one day to set'em up ?? ... :eek: ... :0headscratch: ... :lachtot: ... :th_smilieroflmao: ... :aniwheeler6:

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Most guys never touch them because they are afraid of them or something.

I adjust mine numerous times a day if the trails change a lot. I have the tools in my rear bag at all times.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most guys never touch them because they are afraid of them or something.

I adjust mine numerous times a day if the trails change a lot. I have the tools in my rear bag at all times.

Probably more of a lack of knowledge on what to do than fear of messing with them

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love mine on my XMR. Made a huge difference once the sag was adjusted correctly. Huge difference going slow or fast, but the faster you go the better they seem to get :) Also a huge improvement in cornering body roll, which i wasn't expecting really. Oh, I also had them add the rebound adjuster to the fronts also.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are the rumors true that they are discontinuing the stage 3? And ad said, if you dont want to adjust them buy the stage 1. Same shock without the adjustments.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts