Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Elka Stage 3 shocks

19K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Siuco 
#1 ·
What's up guys I'm looking at buying a set of stage 3 Elka shocks for my outlander 1000. The shocks are kinda pricey at $1600 so I'm really wanting to get some feedback from some people that already are running Elkas... What's the biggest difference it makes and how is it gonna make my bike handle differently. Overall is it worth $$$ to upgrade the stock shocks??

#2 ·
They're great!! I got a set for my 650 in the spring. They make a huge difference in cornering and braking as the bike doesn't dive or roll any where near as bad as it does with stock shocks. And when going over the really choppy stuff it's 100% better!! With stick shocks it shakes my arms bad enough that I can feel my watch turning on my wrist. With the elkas I didn't feel that at all.
I ride a lot of rail beds and all the bumps that u hit that you'd want to stand up for or the ones that jar your back are gone with the elkas.
If u can, get a buddy to ride with u when u get the elkas installed and when u find a good section of chop switch bikes and go back over it. The difference is huge

I'll definitely get another set in the future.

#3 ·
Yeah that's the main thing I'm trying to get rid of I can't stand the bike nose diving when I slow down to take a corner or just cruising and let off the gas

#4 ·
ya if ur a med to fast paced trail rider then using aftermarket shocks makes a big difference. you wont notice much difference when riding slow, but once u open up the throttle you'll notice

#6 ·
Second that :th_smiliethumbsup: Higher speeds, cornering, braking, and bumpy trails,... Nice. Much better ride after I got aftermarket shocks all around on the bike.

#5 ·
Ordered mine a couple weeks ago, they got here and are fantastic looking. Can't really say how they ride yet tho, w/ thanksgiving week here we've had a lot of family in town, needed to clean house and whatnot so haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

#8 ·
I totally agree with u Gunny. Aftermarket shocks are way better in all conditions. I just found it to be a complete night and day difference when it came to hi-speed riding and only mildly noticed the change at slower speeds. But then again that's what I set mine up for. Maybe I've never ridden slow tho?? LOL!! Anything under 40 is slow to me. LOL!! But yes shocks make a huge difference no matter what speed you ride at.
By riding slow I really meant mudholing.
PS, love your vids. Amazing place to ride!

Reactions: GunnyE9
#9 ·
I totally agree with u Gunny. Aftermarket shocks are way better in all conditions. I just found it to be a complete night and day difference when it came to hi-speed riding and only mildly noticed the change at slower speeds. But then again that's what I set mine up for. Maybe I've never ridden slow tho?? LOL!! Anything under 40 is slow to me. LOL!! But yes shocks make a huge difference no matter what speed you ride at.
By riding slow I really meant mudholing.
PS, love your vids. Amazing place to ride!

You crack me up Big Shook !! :lachtot::th_smilieroflmao::th_smilielol:

And THANKS for the kind words about the vids too !! :notworthy::notworthy:

#10 ·
Ya, the place the shocks shine for me is simply being able to dial them in at all different settings, hi speed compression, low speed compression, rebound, etc. I really think the rebound adjustment if the most critical to me because that is what is usally WAYYY off and needs to be fine tuned. I hate when they buck because of too fast rebound, thats rediculous, but most non adjustable shocks do just that.

#11 ·
Like Shook say's, the faster the pace, the more you will notice how much better the Elkas are. In fact, they soak up everything. I found that the high speed compression that Elka had set is perfect. I don't have the compression adjusters on mine. If I did, I would like to back off the slow speed compression adjuster for rock crawling. However, it is still better than stock, and you get to use the full amount of wheel travel without the feel of bottoming out the shock.

#13 ·
Fancy high end shocks definitely make a big difference in the slow stuff, but even more so in the fast stuff. Seems the faster you hit stuff, the smoother it gets. Blazing down a trail doing 40-50mph thats littered in rocks and washout and not getting flung about is quite an amazing feeling and something to get used to lol.

#14 ·
Stage 3's

I had mine on there for over a year now I think. whoops is where they shine for me as others have said. The whoops on the railroad tracks that hammered me to death with stock shocks are much better now. I have 3 herniated disc's and really appreciate the shocks

#15 ·
If you don't plan on spending a day just tuning the shocks, don't waste the money on them. Its not like a typical bolt on where you just ride and enjoy it. These NEED to be adjusted to your liking. Thats the WHOLE reason you buy them is because of the adjustability!
I hate seeing high end shocks never touched and people complaining about them..

#17 ·
Most guys never touch them because they are afraid of them or something.

I adjust mine numerous times a day if the trails change a lot. I have the tools in my rear bag at all times.

#18 ·
Probably more of a lack of knowledge on what to do than fear of messing with them

#19 · (Edited)
I love mine on my XMR. Made a huge difference once the sag was adjusted correctly. Huge difference going slow or fast, but the faster you go the better they seem to get :) Also a huge improvement in cornering body roll, which i wasn't expecting really. Oh, I also had them add the rebound adjuster to the fronts also.

#20 ·
Are the rumors true that they are discontinuing the stage 3? And ad said, if you dont want to adjust them buy the stage 1. Same shock without the adjustments.

#21 · (Edited)
I've been adjusting my stage ridiculous and can safely say that having adjustability on them is really nice. Just 3 clicks on the rear rebound adj made a huge difference.

Still a long way from having them spot on and knowing what I need for different conditions. Springs are too soft too so I keep having to go back to scratch and start over when new springs come in.

Will say I was very disappointed in the stage 3s coming w/ no rebound on the front, then finding out that several users had asked for front rebound too and gotten it for free. I returned the stage 3s and bought the 'ridiculous' from Impact Solutions here in the USA. They have been great to deal with too.

#23 ·
the elka stage 4 i had on my outty were absolutely awesome, i would definately recommend them to anyone looking for a better ride with lots of adjustability to fine tune to ones riding style

#24 ·
Or find a set of takeoffs of a XXC, the fox podiums are pretty awesome.

#25 ·
^^^Yep...lol ^^^

#27 ·
I’ve had the Elka’s stage 3 (earlier version than the ones available today) since I broke the stock ones (3 times) on my 2015 800 XMR. “It is by far the BEST upgrade you can make!” Period! You will notice a huge improvement over fast pot holes, tighter corning and control and a way smoother ride over all. But be prepared to fine tune them for your specific riding style (to get the most out of them)

it’s been six years and they are still going strong and I still have to tweak them for the various terrain I ride. They probably do need to get serviced soon as the bushing mounts are starting to get loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.