Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 outlander 800XT. I noticed a few months ago while plowing that the bike was kind of acting up, If i hit the throttle at 100% the bike would kinda cut out a bit, almost like when your almost outta gas and it kicks in and out and jerks you around a bit. But only when the throttle is at 100% The RPM doesn't necessarily hit its max so i don't think its the rev limiter, and I know its not because the bike has more to give from previous rides, Theres no issues with start up and driving at normal speeds, only when i giver at 100%.
I changed sparks thinking maybe it could be that but it didn't work, Someone recommended for me to check the throttle cable to make sure it wasn't pinching any air hoses but i don't believe that to be the problem either. The only thing I noticed that leaving the air box is a hose that enters kinda off to the side of the filter, and that hose runs down to one side of the engine, Im not sure what this hose does but in the air box it has a bunch of little pieces of grass dirt and leaves, not a ton but a little bit, I don't think that would be it but i don't know much about these bikes yet. To me it feelings like a fuel or air or a mixture of both issue. I know nothing about the fuel pumps or injectors, I came from a honda 350 which was much simpler.
I'll try and post a video of it acting up, because i can do it if i have the bike in park as well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm replacing my fuel pump assy for just under $300. But, some folks just replace the motor for $60 on eBay. But, then they still their 8-year old fuel level floats. Your fuel pump is in bottom of fuel tank. There's a video on YouTube. Ethanol degrades the fuel strainer overtime and the debris lodges in pump. You gotta take right rear wheel off, disconnect the fuel line, electrical cable and 4 screws to remove fuel tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I was hoping it was the pump since i know little about them. Ill look into it! thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could a bad battery also do this? It maybe be 4-5 years old . Don't seem to be holding a charge like it used to. I'm also going to check the stater just in case it's not producing power

·
Registered
578 Posts
A loose connection could cause some problems. You should notice it other times though as well like going over a bump or something like that. Doubtful it's a bad battery as you'd notice right off the start I think. The hose your talking about is just a crankcase breather it wouldn't cause that problem either. It would show up as excessive blow by if you open up the dipstick or are pushing oil out around seals. Could possibly be something in your sensors or throttle cable maybe.

It's possible it's your fuel pump too but without putting a gauge on it there's no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all winter my battery never seems to charge and the bike rolls over very slow, but just this week the weather warmed up, which is late for us, but when I took it out it rolled over like the battery had been charging all night or somthing and when I drove it, it didn't cut out on my once! That's why I thought maybe the battery could effect it.
I was waiting for this warmer weather to change my fuel pump, I got one off eBay for next to nothing, figure if it wasn't the part gone bad it would be a good idea to change it anyway.
Is there a way to clean the sensors off? I seen a few in the throttle body and thought maybe they were dirty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts