Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a situation here. I have a 2007 Outlander 800 and a 2008 Renegade 500. I just bought a 2009 Renegade 800r engine. My questions are, will the 800r engine work in my 800 or would it work better in the slightly newer renegade? Id like to put the more powerful engine in my mud quad if possible and my old 800 engine in my trail bike. Also is it possible to reflash the stock 500 ECU to adapt it for the 800? Im just not sure if there are any differences between the years and the engines so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,509 Posts
Just my .2c, I'd probably opt for staying with the 800 in the Outty. The weight difference between the Outty and the 'Gade isn't huge, but the Outty would weigh more, I'd want 800cc in it to move it around. 500cc in the Rene should still rip just fine. To the best of my knowledge, there's no physical differences between any of those bikes/motors, that would prevent swapping anything into anything. And then yeah you'd just need the 500 ECM reflashed for the injectors in the 800

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my .2c, I'd probably opt for staying with the 800 in the Outty. The weight difference between the Outty and the 'Gade isn't huge, but the Outty would weigh more, I'd want 800cc in it to move it around. 500cc in the Rene should still rip just fine. To the best of my knowledge, there's no physical differences between any of those bikes/motors, that would prevent swapping anything into anything. And then yeah you'd just need the 500 ECM reflashed for the injectors in the 800
I am going to have 2 800 engines, one is the 800r which id like to put in my existing 800 for a litte extra power, and then take my existing 800 and put it in my 500 renegade

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,509 Posts
Ah gotcha, I mis-read "mud bike" as the renegade 😝

I can't think of any hurdles to that approach (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will there be any issues upgrading to the 800r motor?i know different years have cam sensors and some dont will that be an issue does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would keep this simple and just put the 800R in the machine with the 500 motor. the power difference is very minimal in the 800HO and 800R and the power just comes on at a different time. the 800r has a bit more up top but loses some down low due to the different cam so i think your better off with the outlander keeping the 800HO engine and not having to dick around with all the potential issues with the swap but also because the low end of the 800HO is probably better for mud anyways. also some of the power increase that came from the 09s/800r is more air flow into the air box and eliminating the 90 degree elbow inside the air box. there is something else but can't remember it off the top of my head but you'll at lest need that new 09 filter or aftermarket 09 and up twin air filter and a new rubber air box boot. i believe Brpbomb just attempted this swap and there were a few surprises, ill try to locate it and post it here.
you can get your 500 ecu reflasehed as well for the 800r swap threw Mrrpm, call and talk to steve he will also known about the cam sensor but if your 500 didn't have one and the 800r does as we know there maybe something they can do to get it right. you could also contact jared at canampartsguy, he is probably the most knowableable person there is when it comes to swaps and different parts and he sells them all new and used and he has great prices but more importantly for you the knowledge to get it done right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts