Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July and Aug last year I posted here about my 19 Outlander running hot and melting the shock bump stop. Boy did I take a beating from some here about coming down on BRP, I heard everything but death threats thrown at me. Well I pushed forward anyway, after getting nowhere with their customer service I filed a formal complaint with the consumer product safety commission. That got the ball rolling with BRP, CPSC carries allot of power. So over the last 6 months It was back and forth with BRP, The atv has been in the dealer here in Surprise AZ 3 times now and maybe we have a fix I will share with you. It took us using a heat gun checking temps in several areas and then taking pictures of it to record this for BRP. I will only say they are over the top, I am on my 4th left rear shock now, BRP has paid for everything to this point and that has been a few thousand dollars. So at this point they have mfg a very nice heat shield for the left rear shock and a filler panel that goes between the belt cover the body panel. that cut the temp on my pant leg by 10 degrees. Why no one ever held there feet to the ground on this issue I will never know?This case is not closed yet but I hope that these parts will make it into production so they are standard on all new outlander's. This may help people out there with this problem, It pays to not give up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
LOl... all that work and that stuff has been out for a while now... Its just a band aid fix... While i never had the concerns of the heat i tuned mine and reduced the temps quite a bit. I will trust teh tune before a bandaid fix as the heat is still their its just being redirected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOl... all that work and that stuff has been out for a while now... Its just a band aid fix... While i never had the concerns of the heat i tuned mine and reduced the temps quite a bit. I will trust teh tune before a bandaid fix as the heat is still their its just being redirected.
😀😀I am sure this will help some people here that these parts our out there without having to retune. I will not respond anymore on this forum for the same reasons I stopped before. Take my post for what it's worth and we move on people.

·
Registered
2019 Outlander Max xt ,elka stage 3 .HMF Titan QS .CVTech,
28 Posts
Just read your post went out to check mine and sure enough melted on the 850
SAM_3181.JPG

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve look for the part # and cant find it...

can you share where you got the shield from? Much appreciated....

·
Registered
2019 Outlander Max xt ,elka stage 3 .HMF Titan QS .CVTech,
28 Posts
Definitely will be bringing the 850 to the shop for a new shock & one shiny new heat shield
thanks 928dennis for the post would of never even looked

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

can you share where you got

can you share where you got the shield from? Much appreciated....
This might help, 705209688 shock heat shield hope This helps. I was told it is a new part so it may not be in the system yet. Good luck. P.S yes it is shameful that they would turn this crap out, they had to know we back tracked it for over 10 years this has been happening.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure it will be in the parts system soon, just keep trying or have your parts people call BRP with the part number. Good luck!
It was sent to my local dealer from BRP, I was relentless on them, we were gearing up for a law suite if they had not worked with us. Not patting myself on the back but my dealer said it was us holding there feet to the fire that got that part made. We were documenting everything. I have come to believe the whole offroad industry is screwed up. They need more over site so crap like this won,t happen. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dennis, thanks for sharing your experience with us. My introduction to the Outlander included a hot leg treatment that I'll never forget. BRP can certainly engineer a solution if we keep reminding them that its a problem.

Hot exhaust pipes are common. A test ride on an Aprilia Shiver showed up the same cooking leg problem immediately and it made me loose interest completely in an otherwise very impressive motorcycle.

Glad you gave this problem some exposure. Its not just a question of rider comfort when exhaust heat starts to ruin other parts of the vehicle. That is not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It was sent to my local dealer from BRP, I was relentless on them, we were gearing up for a law suite if they had not worked with us. Not patting myself on the back but my dealer said it was us holding there feet to the fire that got that part made. We were documenting everything. I have come to believe the whole offroad industry is screwed up. They need more over site so crap like this won,t happen. Anyway good luck.
haha your dealer has been blowing smoke up your ...... That part has been available since about a month after your original post... Just most people and the dealers that don't really give a crap don't know they are available..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha your dealer has been blowing smoke up your ...... That part has been available since about a month after your original post... Just most people and the dealers that don't really give a crap don't know they are available..
So please help all out here with how to get it and a part number. From the number of replays you have you should know everything, unless you can really help here I am sure must people could care about your worthless input to this point.
Since you can't seem to help yourself from posting here why don't you post something that would be of some help to help these people that may be looking for some. If you know how and where to get the part? please supply a part number and stop the BS about how the part has been around for such and such time. You have been no help to anyone here and If you can't then why waste your time posting BS comments? You are the reason I stop posting last time and will do so again, with over a 1000 reply's up you need to get a life and do some good with your time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Speaking of getting a life... Instead of patting yourself on the back thinking you solved all BRP heat issues you could have searched and found the fix long ago instead of wasting your dealers time and ours... But you still blame everyone else because you never did your research or did not believe what everyone else said about these machines run hot and the only real fix is to tune it. Your original post on the issue all you did was argue with anyone that had some constructive input and blamed everyone but yourself for not researching the issue.. While the heat never concerned me i spent the money to fix it right and strange enough im still on my original shock with next to no signs of heat issues.. Im not debating the fact that their is a heat issue but may not be on every machine depending on rider style and possibly tuning. Maby instead of attaching anyone that has a different view than you be a man and listen to what they are saying and then take it or leave it

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my opinion the exhaust heat shielding is a joke in engineering. Ad hoc parts with poor design and all they had to do is create an insulated tunnel (sealed) for the exhaust and add shielding back past the seat to solve the shock heat issue. Not some slopped together mix mash of bolted together aluminum pieces. I’m sure the tune helps, the overall design in my opinion lacks solid engineering. Now I’ve got to spend time and money to fix the mess, like others have.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
There are many ways to deal with the heat, retune, fan override, ceramic coatings, heat wrap and/or extra guards, Pick the poison that you suites you. Retune is the best option but is also the most expensive. I did the fan override and heat wrap but have since abandoned the wrap. Except when i am rock crawling I have no heat issues. cheap and effective bandaid in a climate with limited number of days hitting 30 celsuis or above.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts