Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I watched the vids and seen the tech articles on the forums on how most people are doing this mod. I first want to say the method is perfectly fine and I'm not bashing it at all. My question is why is the preferred/common method bypass the relay. To me this doesn't make sense because when you bypass the relay you don't really know when the auto cool down mode is working and if you leave the key on and forget about it you come back to a bike with a dead battery. You also need a toggle switch that can carry a 20 amp load. To me the method I use is to ground one side of the toggle switch chassis ground the other side tee into the ecu ground coming from relay. This method when you shut your key off the override switch shuts off with it because the ecu side the relay is key on power only so no accidental dead battery leaving the only function left being the auto cool down mode . The toggle switch is not carrying the 20 amp load with this method the relay does as intend from factory.I used this method on my 700 grizzly with no issue at all. I will be doing the same method on my can am very shortly. I'm I missing something here guys ??? Whats everybody thoughts?? thxs guys:th_smiliebanana2::th_smiliebanana2:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wired in the fan over ride the same way you mentioned on my Rincon but will not be doing so with my Renegade. I bought the Hayden controller that is popular on here and will be wiring it instead of a toggle. Main reason is because these machines run so hot I like the fact that you can adjust the controller for a set temp (say 160) and the fan will come on everytime at the same temp not just when you think of flipping the switch. This wasn't nearly as big a deal with my Rincon as it never ran nearly as hot as my Renegade but even in the hottest weather we have had here at 70 degrees I felt like I was being cooked on my machine everytime I slowed down.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi guys. I watched the vids and seen the tech articles on the forums on how most people are doing this mod. I first want to say the method is perfectly fine and I'm not bashing it at all. My question is why is the preferred/common method bypass the relay. To me this doesn't make sense because when you bypass the relay you don't really know when the auto cool down mode is working and if you leave the key on and forget about it you come back to a bike with a dead battery. You also need a toggle switch that can carry a 20 amp load. To me the method I use is to ground one side of the toggle switch chassis ground the other side tee into the ecu ground coming from relay. This method when you shut your key off the override switch shuts off with it because the ecu side the relay is key on power only so no accidental dead battery leaving the only function left being the auto cool down mode . The toggle switch is not carrying the 20 amp load with this method the relay does as intend from factory.I used this method on my 700 grizzly with no issue at all. I will be doing the same method on my can am very shortly. I'm I missing something here guys ??? Whats everybody thoughts?? thxs guys:th_smiliebanana2::th_smiliebanana2:
Your 100% correct, your theory will work and no question nothing wrong in doing it your way. And if you kill the ignition switch it will stop the fan from running. I originally was planning on doing it this way.

Couple of reasons why I choose to bypass the relay instead of grounding out the relay/ecu side.

1. I don't like to fool around with anything related to ECU. That's just me, but I highly doubt anything can go wrong by triggering the ground. But this method will require for you to have ignition on and fan switch on. Two switches to control fan vs one switch to flip.

2. I often park the machine and like to let fan run for a few minutes without having the ignition on. Also after washing down machines and parking them. I like to let the fan run for 5 minutes and helps dry up the engine, instead of parking it with a damp wet engine. If I forget to shut the fan off, I will also forget to switch ignition off if I where to do your method. So either way I would be screwed if I forgot about the fan.

Whether you choose this method or trigger ground or a fan controller. We all have our personnel reasons. At the end of the day as long as you can control the fan when you want it, that's all that matters. No right or wrong, just preference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts